Good AIO printer?

Bloodyvalley

Nothing too expensive

There's only one important question:

Do you need to be able to print realistic colour images/photos from your camera?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Not a bad choice if he needs colour, but doesn't need to print photos.

Personally, unless he needs colour, I'd go with a Black & White Laser Multifunction. You can get good ones for 50-75% the cost of the one you've listed, such as from Brother or HP (And yes, HP makes kickass laser printers).

The other thing to consider - with a laser printer, is whether to go with a replaceable drum unit (Such as with Brother printers), or a toner that includes an integrated drum (Such as HP, and most consumer grade laser printers). On the one hand, toner is cheaper without an integrated drum, but on the other hand, the drums themselves cost like $100-200 when needing to be replaced.

You can also buy 3rd party toners online from eBay, or from Staples, Canada Computers, NewEgg, NCIX, etc, for cheaper than the name brand official cartridges.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You can also buy 3rd party toners online from eBay, or from Staples, Canada Computers, NewEgg, NCIX, etc, for cheaper than the name brand official cartridges.

Staples is discontinuing most of their generic toner and ink sales to promote more name brand sales, as well as profit from higher-priced sales  (because the stores don't already make most of their profit in a year from ink sales as it is...). I know 100% this is true for in-store purchases, but online still has a selection... for now.

Source: Former Staples Employee

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Staples is discontinuing most of their generic toner and ink sales to promote more name brand sales, as well as profit from higher-priced sales  (because the stores don't already make most of their profit in a year from ink sales as it is...). I know 100% this is true for in-store purchases, but online still has a selection... for now.

Source: Former Staples Employee

I'm also a former Staples employee :)

Interesting, since Staples used to make a huge profit on each Staples brand ink/toner sold. But, for example, HP, still has a fairly high profit margin on their ink/toner.

I'm also a former Staples employee :)

Interesting, since Staples used to make a huge profit on each Staples brand ink/toner sold. But, for example, HP, still has a fairly high profit margin on their ink/toner.

Very nice ;) I was only there for a year, due to financial complications (hooray adulthood and college! lol), and just before I left at the end of last month, we pulled our final Staples branded Lexmark ink and Canon toner from the shelves. I was told it was all stores doing the same. Saw one generic cartridge in a store at my new home, but it was clearance stickered, so it is inactive.

Either way, most stores I'm familiar with are multi-million dollar per year stores, in ink/toner alone! But a tip for OP, if you do go with a Brother laser printer, and choose to buy your toner from Staples, always pricematch to their online price. Usually it is a 40-50% difference. A high capacity cartridge can commonly be purchased for $10 more than the standard size one if you pricematch.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Very nice ;) I was only there for a year, due to financial complications (hooray adulthood and college! lol), and just before I left at the end of last month, we pulled our final Staples branded Lexmark ink and Canon toner from the shelves. I was told it was all stores doing the same. Saw one generic cartridge in a store at my new home, but it was clearance stickered, so it is inactive.

Either way, most stores I'm familiar with are multi-million dollar per year stores, in ink/toner alone! But a tip for OP, if you do go with a Brother laser printer, and choose to buy your toner from Staples, always pricematch to their online price. Usually it is a 40-50% difference. A high capacity cartridge can commonly be purchased for $10 more than the standard size one if you pricematch.

Agreed.

In any case, Laser Printers are the only way to go, unless you specifically need to print colour photos on photopaper.

Ink printers are just not worth the hassle, and the extra cost of the ink over the life of the printer.

-snip-

-snip-

That Samsung printer is a good choice, if it fits his needs. You'll note that not once did I say otherwise.

However, the OP never replied to this topic. He never answered the crucial questions regarding usage and features needed.

I don't know what printer he needs, since he hasn't told us whether he'll be using colour at all, let alone photo printing. He hasn't told us whether he would like Wifi, duplex, fax capable, etc.

HP and Brother don't have poor security. Not any worse than any other major printer brand. Personally I avoid WIFI printers completely, or disable the WIFI if they have it, and use LAN/Ethernet. It's more secure, and more reliable.

HP drivers don't suck. WTF? Do you have any valid, objective sources that will back up these wild claims? In our company, we have dozens of HP printers (mostly monochrome laser, but some colour too), and we have zero driver issues. Hell, some of them are going on 15-20 years old and are still kicking.

I've used Samsung laser printers before too - they're solid, not bad machines. But I won't claim they are somehow superior to Brother or HP.

So I reiterate: I cannot recommend the OP a printer until he confirms his usage, and required features. Otherwise we're just guessing, which is about as useless as a pig that sings.

But thanks for making all kinds of assumptions, both about what the OP needs, as well as about me :) I hope you have a good day and cheer up a little bit.

Edited by colonel_mortis

There's only one important question:

Do you need to be able to print realistic colour images/photos from your camera?

No but a colored laser printer would be cool

-snip-

That Samsung printer is a good choice, if it fits his needs. You'll note that not once did I say otherwise.

However, the OP never replied to this topic. He never answered the crucial questions regarding usage and features needed.

I don't know what printer he needs, since he hasn't told us whether he'll be using colour at all, let alone photo printing. He hasn't told us whether he would like Wifi, duplex, fax capable, etc.

HP and Brother don't have poor security. Not any worse than any other major printer brand. Personally I avoid WIFI printers completely, or disable the WIFI if they have it, and use LAN/Ethernet. It's more secure, and more reliable.

HP drivers don't suck. WTF? Do you have any valid, objective sources that will back up these wild claims? In our company, we have dozens of HP printers (mostly monochrome laser, but some colour too), and we have zero driver issues. Hell, some of them are going on 15-20 years old and are still kicking.

I've used Samsung laser printers before too - they're solid, not bad machines. But I won't claim they are somehow superior to Brother or HP.

So I reiterate: I cannot recommend the OP a printer until he confirms his usage, and required features. Otherwise we're just guessing, which is about as useless as a pig that sings.

But thanks for making all kinds of assumptions, both about what the OP needs, as well as about me :) I hope you have a good day and cheer up a little bit.

No need for ePrint and no fax either.

No but a colored laser printer would be cool

No need for ePrint and no fax either.

In that case you've got some variety to choose from.

If you want to go with Monochrone - here are a few different options:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SL-M2070FW-XAA-Wireless-Monochrome/dp/B00J8U9QCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436895745&sr=8-1&keywords=SL-M2070W

http://www.amazon.com/HP-M127FN-Networked-Monochrome-Laserjet/dp/B00EELTZM0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436895775&sr=8-2&keywords=hp+laser+monochrome+multifunction

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-DCPL2520DW-Wireless-Compact-Multifunction/dp/B00MFG5854/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1436895815&sr=8-5&keywords=brother+laser+monochrome+multifunction

If you want to add colour to the mix - a bit more expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Xpress-Wireless-Multifunction-Printer/dp/B00I2XTPC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436895871&sr=8-1&keywords=SL-C460W

http://www.amazon.com/HP-M177FW-Wireless-Laserjet-Printer/dp/B00EPGGVR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436895906&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+colour+laser+multi

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLASS-MF8280cw-Wireless-Multifunction/dp/B00BS6WYHC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1436895945&sr=8-5&keywords=brother+colour+laser+multi

I would recommend the Samsung or HP for simplicity and ease of use. Also, Samsung and HP both use Toners that have integrated drum units in every toner. That means you never have to replace the drum. Less maintenance is good :)

Edit: You could try and find a few without fax included, but most of these will have fax included in the price anyway. You simply just never have to use it :D