Gaming build as low as cheap as possible

MRleyer32

Hello! Im helping my friend choose parts for a new computer due to his computer crashing like 3 times a day.

I've looked at this:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/TTgjD3

Does this look any good? He wants to get the best performance/buck and prefers Nvidia.

He already got 2x4GB dd3 that we will use, and he will use his old graphics card until he got more money. The 970 is probably what he will buy later. Does this build seem alright? Anything that I should change?

If you're wanting it cheaper, then you could get an i5 4460 and knock down the board to an H97 chipset. 

If you're wanting it cheaper, then you could get an i5 4460 and knock down the board to an H97 chipset. 

I was just thinking that the cpu in the link would hold up longer. He doesn't change computer very often. So this will probably be his computer for like 6 years.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz) 

Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Mac Mall) 

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($239.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($15.79 @ Newegg) 

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $858.65

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-11 13:14 EDT-0400

That is my build that I am probably gonna order today. Take out the monitor and you should be golden with the price range you want. I don't know exactly how much it is because I am from the US soo yeah. :P

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($57.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Mac Mall) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($239.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($15.79 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $858.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-11 13:14 EDT-0400
That is my build that I am probably gonna order today. Take out the monitor and you should be golden with the price range you want. I don't know exactly how much it is because I am from the US soo yeah.  :P

Thanks for your reply, however I feel that you are cheaping out on important stuff such as power supply, storage.

His budget changed so he's buying everything new instead from the beginning. Here is an updated list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/qBnB6h

Heyyo,

Thanks for your reply, however I feel that you are cheaping out on important stuff such as power supply, storage.

His budget changed so he's buying everything new instead from the beginning. Here is an updated list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/qBnB6h

After tinkering with that list? Nah, that's pretty much the best bang for the buck... but 120GB SSD? Are they only using it for the Windows installation? That's insanely small for much else. If that's the case and it's just for Windows install? I'd get a Kingston SSDNow 300 series SSD. It'll boot Windows OS just fine. That? And then you could splurge on a fancier case like the Fractal Design Define S to show off that sexy build with that side window. :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£178.98 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-P ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£59.51 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£39.38 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£39.97 @ CCL Computers)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (£264.99 @ Amazon UK)

Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.95 @ Aria PC)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£36.98 @ Scan.co.uk)

Other: 212 EVO (£24.99)

Total: £754.74

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-11 19:15 BST+0100

It's about £20 more than your build but I'm quite partial these days to windows for showing off the machine. It also I guess depends if it's tucked under a desk or not too.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

After tinkering with that list? Nah, that's pretty much the best bang for the buck... but 120GB SSD? Are they only using it for the Windows installation? That's insanely small for much else. If that's the case and it's just for Windows install? I'd get a Kingston SSDNow 300 series SSD. It'll boot Windows OS just fine. That? And then you could splurge on a fancier case like the Fractal Design Define S to show off that sexy build with that side window. :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£178.98 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-P ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£59.51 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£39.38 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£39.97 @ CCL Computers)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (£264.99 @ Amazon UK)

Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.95 @ Aria PC)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£36.98 @ Scan.co.uk)

Other: 212 EVO (£24.99)

Total: £754.74

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-11 19:15 BST+0100

It's about £20 more than your build but I'm quite partial these days to windows for showing off the machine. It also I guess depends if it's tucked under a desk or not too.

It's just for windows and a few programs.

He choose the case I linked and it also got a window :)

I've read really bad things about the ssd that you linked.

Thanks for your imput though.

It's just for windows and a few programs.

He choose the case I linked and it also got a window :)

I've read really bad things about the ssd that you linked.

Thanks for your imput though.

Heyyo,

Lol oops! Forgot it was the V300 series that had the synchronous and asynchronous flip-flop NAND... In that case? Yeah the Samsung Evo 850 is the way to go since it's the same price as the Crucial MX100 series.

I myself run an older Kingston V100 series SSD and it runs fine for Windows. It's nothing special mind you but Windows 10 seems to love the thing.

If your friend is happy with the case you chose? All the better as well. It does seem like that revised build of yours is indeed the best bang for your buck.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case