450-ish price range ... which gpu?

Hey guys!

I am from Austrian (nope, not the one with kangaroos ^.^), BUT i have followed Linus' tech tips (see what i did there? xD) eversince i started building my first pc o.m.o.  However...

I want to purchase a new gpu because my 280x one seems to be getting too weak for 2 x 1080p monitors gaming/streaming stuff. I set my budget to a maximum of 500€ (wich is about 550 $, so + 10%). Personally I was thinking of an r9 390x (~ 450€), but because the 390 "non-x" is just about 5-10 % slower according to several benchmarks i've seen yet, but costs only 350 - 380 € - that's almost a fourth cheaper?! O.o - should i go with one of those instead? 

I don't know much about the nvidia side of the force, so if there are some copatitive ones i have overseen in the reviews i have seen yet, then pls tell meh! :D

Oh yeah, here's a list of my actual PC components: 

- AMD FX 8350 @ 4.6 ghz on water

- Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mobo

- 16 gb ram @ 1600 mhz

- Sapphire R9 280x 3gb

- big-tower case

- 2 monitors, one with HDMI, the other with DVI port

MSI R9 390X

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Hey guys!

I am from Austrian (nope, not the one with kangaroos ^.^), BUT i have followed Linus' tech tips (see what i did there? xD) eversince i started building my first pc o.m.o.  However...

I want to purchase a new gpu because my 280x one seems to be getting too weak for 2 x 1080p monitors gaming/streaming stuff. I set my budget to a maximum of 500€ (wich is about 550 $, so + 10%). Personally I was thinking of an r9 390x (~ 450€), but because the 390 "non-x" is just about 5-10 % slower according to several benchmarks i've seen yet, but costs only 350 - 380 € - that's almost a fourth cheaper?! O.o - should i go with one of those instead? 

I don't know much about the nvidia side of the force, so if there are some copatitive ones i have overseen in the reviews i have seen yet, then pls tell meh! :D

Oh yeah, here's a list of my actual PC components: 

- AMD FX 8350 @ 4.6 ghz on water

- Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mobo

- 16 gb ram @ 1600 mhz

- Sapphire R9 280x 3gb

- big-tower case

- 2 monitors, one with HDMI, the other with DVI port

I would recommend getting a 390 or a 970 then get a new cpu

I don't know how the prices are in Austria, but with that budget, you might be able to get a gtx 980. Look into it and see if you're able to afford it.

So Austria, thats EU. I found this in online shop in Germany

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/4096MB-Palit-GeForce-GTX-980-JetStream-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_978903.html 

10e higher then your budget but god damn its 980 and the site seems to have good reputation. So I dont know how far it is and can you go there or just order it. Things that worry me are delivery in this case and price of it but i guess there isnt any extra tax cause its EU.

Catman - a Wolverine wanna be 

Maybe buy another R9 280X and do Crossfire? You can save a lot of money if you buy used. Make sure to test it properly with stress test programs like Furmark and Unigine Heaven though. :)

Alright so here's my take on it

It's either you stick with your 280x and get a better CPU

or

Get either a 290x, 390x or 980

Note: Crossfire would be great, but most games don't benefit or even use it 

I don't know how the prices are in Austria, but with that budget, you might be able to get a gtx 980. Look into it and see if you're able to afford it.

cheapest 980 starts at 510 € and it's asomething called "gain4" or "gain4ward".. all the reliable brands start at 550€ wich is out of my budget.

you might run into bottle-neck issues with that CPU

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

Alright so here's my take on it

It's either you stick with your 280x and get a better CPU

or

Get either a 290x, 390x or 980

Note: Crossfire would be great, but most games don't benefit or even use it 

but in all benchmarks i've seen the 390 performs better then the 290x in almost all games, the 390 is cheaper too.

Your cpu is already bottlenecking your card. 

You'd be better off going Intel instead of upgrading your card.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Maybe buy another R9 280X and do Crossfire? You can save a lot of money if you buy used. Make sure to test it properly with stress test programs like Furmark and Unigine Heaven though. :)

actually i just had 2 280x'es in crossfire, but i could sell one for 200€ and i can do the same with my remaining one, so effecively i only need to take 100€ out of my own pocket. the reason i was not happy with 2 280x in x-fire was that some games looked terribely aweful, dying light e.g.

but in all benchmarks i've seen the 390 performs better then the 290x in almost all games, the 390 is cheaper too.

It depends on the games themselves and how the tests were made

I think the tests might not apply to you since most of them use higher-end CPUs

Which leads me to giving you the choice to either get a better CPU then add a $300-350 card

or get a single $550 card 

pls stop telling me that my cpu sucks.. its a fine cpu, but neither the less i AM GOING to upgrade to i5 4690k - i7 4790k-ish a.s.a.p.

but to stay focused, here are my personal favourites (for gpu):

http://www.mylemon.at/artikel/sapphire/11241_00_20g/radeon-r9-390x-tri-x.html Sapphire 390x

or.

http://www.mylemon.at/artikel/asus/90yv08h0_m0na00/r9390-dc2-8gd5.html Asus 390

Not the 390 because its not a significant step up.

what do you mean by that?

Borrow, steal or wait a bit and get that 980 in same store you linked for 510-520 euros :D

benchmark 390x vs 980

Catman - a Wolverine wanna be 

Am I missing out on something here, the 8350 is bottlenecking gpus? Last I checked, it's only slightly slower than the 4690k.

Am I missing out on something here, the 8350 is bottlenecking gpus? Last I checked, it's only slightly slower than the 4690k.

yeah, the HATE is real, some ppl are just racist against amd ^^

yeah, the HATE is real, some ppl are just racist against amd ^^

On topic, have you considered selling your remaining 280x? That should free up more budget for a strong single card. 390x in a sense is "future proofing", given that games utilize more and more vram (but we don't know). I haven't checked 390x vs gtx 980 yet, but ideally you should consider either one of them.

Get a 390X then. The

Sapphire as always, will have rock solid AMD cards.

The extra VRAM will be a nice little edge over other options as you're running two monitors.

Not the 390 because its not a significant step up.

Ok then, i'll go with a sapphire 390x. -> beacause i have had a msi and spphire 280x before, and i was a little bit dissapointed of the msi one compared to the sapphire 280x because it ran hotter and performed worse. Might have been a coincident, but i think i still like sapphire a bit more.

Finally, i would really like to thank YOU ALL for giving my (at least somehow) helpfull and quick advices! THANK YOU :)