PSU Upgrade

DrunkPenguinz

So, I have a XPS 420, and I know it's definitely not the best. My parents got it for me for christmas knowing nothing and grabbing whatever the store clerk told them was ok for "modern gaming" with an ATI Radeon 3650, and a Q6600. I cringed at the fact I had an ATI card in my computer, but I knew I could switch it out for a decent GPU with little to no bottlenecking on the Q6600. So I bought a used msi r9 270 off of ebay and when I put it in my computer, it ran like complete shit. For a long time I thought it was the fact I lucked out on buying a used gpu, but then I finally realized that my PSU was the bottleneck. The thing is, I don't want to blow too much money on my psu since I'll be getting a monster build by the end of this year, but I'm quite impatient and want to at least run all of my games at high/med settings till I get the money for a better computer entirely. If you guys have any recommendations for PSU's that are 550w and up for under $75, or any other things I should switch out as well, I would appreciate any tips. Here's a link to the specs: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-XPS-420-Desktop/dp/B001B5KQAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436588307&sr=8-1&keywords=XPS+420

So, I have a XPS 420, and I know it's definitely not the best. My parents got it for me for christmas knowing nothing and grabbing whatever the store clerk told them was ok for "modern gaming" with an ATI Radeon 3650, and a Q6600. I cringed at the fact I had an ATI card in my computer, but I knew I could switch it out for a decent GPU with little to no bottlenecking on the Q6600. So I bought a used msi r9 270 off of ebay and when I put it in my computer, it ran like complete shit. For a long time I thought it was the fact I lucked out on buying a used gpu, but then I finally realized that my PSU was the bottleneck. The thing is, I don't want to blow too much money on my psu since I'll be getting a monster build by the end of this year, but I'm quite impatient and want to at least run all of my games at high/med settings till I get the money for a better computer entirely. If you guys have any recommendations for PSU's that are 550w and up for under $75, or any other things I should switch out as well, I would appreciate any tips. Here's a link to the specs: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-XPS-420-Desktop/dp/B001B5KQAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436588307&sr=8-1&keywords=XPS+420

If it's anything like what I've known frro pre-builts the 24 pin and 8 pin may not properly connect to the motherboard.

Nonetheless, first of all you do NOT need 550W whatsoever. Your system gets to maybe 250W under load. Second of all, EVGA 550W GS or Antec High Current Gamer :P

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

If it's anything like what I've known frro pre-builts the 24 pin and 8 pin may not properly connect to the motherboard.

Nonetheless, first of all you do NOT need 550W whatsoever. Your system gets to maybe 250W under load. Second of all, EVGA 550W GS or Antec High Current Gamer :P

They do, don't worry. I have the same motherboard he does and all my PC power supplies work with it.

They do, don't worry. I have the same motherboard he does and all my PC power supplies work with it.

Alrighty, glad to have confirmation :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||