Installing fan on router

Hello,

Greetings,

I own an ancient beetel 450 BXI router and it heats up A LOT.When I touch even it's plastic housing it feels extremely hot,I can barely hold my hand on it.God know how hot the chip would be.So I have come up with a plan.I am planning on installing a 120mm fan on the router and possibly heatsinks on the chips.I will cut a hole on the box and screw the fan on top.As for power I think I could solder the fan leads to the routers power.Here lies my main concern,I checked the voltage it's 12v at 700m amps.12v is fine but my main question is will the power be enough to power both the fan and the router?I know that fans use quite small amounts of power but the question remains.

Thank you.

Do you have any way of testing the router's power draw(under significant load) with say a Kill-A-Watt?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Personally i wouldn't. I highly doubt they would rate the power supply much over the required spec. A 120mm fan at 12v will use roughly 0.15-0.20 amps with some using up to 0.40.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

Do you have any way of testing the router's power draw(under significant load) with say a Kill-A-Watt?

Unfortunately,no.I would have to look really hard to find one in India for cheap.

if you are saying that the power supply for the router is rated at 700ma then no it will not work. the power supply will most likely not be able to handle a fan and the router. most old little 12v adapters are linear, so it has a transformer and a rectifier and some caps. if you draw too much current the caps wont be able to smooth out the rectified dc wave and your router will meet a swift death. And thats assuming that the transformer doesnt just short out as the windings get hot and the thin coating on the windings starts to melt. Get a cheapo phone charger, 5v will start many fans and at least keep them spinning if you give them a flick. and as a bonus they will be very quiet.

if you are saying that the power supply for the router is rated at 700ma then no it will not work. the power supply will most likely not be able to handle a fan and the router. most old little 12v adapters are linear, so it has a transformer and a rectifier and some caps. if you draw too much current the caps wont be able to smooth out the rectified dc wave and your router will meet a swift death. And thats assuming that the transformer doesnt just short out as the windings get hot and the thin coating on the windings starts to melt. Get a cheapo phone charger, 5v will start many fans and at least keep them spinning if you give them a flick. and as a bonus they will be very quiet.

I have a 12v 1 amp charger lying around.Will that work?Keep in mind that this will be runing 24x7 so I need to make sure the fan won't die cause of the excessive current.

Well since your router is so ancient, have you considered buying something more current?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Well since your router is so ancient, have you considered buying something more current?

I see what you did there,aaaand NO.

I have a 12v 1 amp charger lying around.Will that work?Keep in mind that this will be runing 24x7 so I need to make sure the fan won't die cause of the excessive current.

dont worry, it doesnt work like that. if the fan draws .3 amps while running you could connect it to a 12v 500 amp supply but it will still only draw .3 amps. the amperage rating on the supply is a maximum, not what it will supply at all times. a 12v 1 amp charger would be perfect for what you are doing.

dont worry, it doesnt work like that. if the fan draws .3 amps while running you could connect it to a 12v 500 amp supply but it will still only draw .3 amps. the amperage rating on the supply is a maximum, not what it will supply at all times. a 12v 1 amp charger would be perfect for what you are doing.

GREAT! Thanks a lot!