Windows 8.1 OS on SSD - Rest Into HDD - Required Drivers - BIOS Update - SSD Optimization - Much Questions

Sol21

Hey "quick" questions guys, I've been trying to config everything so whenever I install programs, it would automatically install into my HDD rather than my SSD which I only want to use for Games, Specific programs and the OS. I messed up and would like to do a complete clean install.

• How do I wipe everything off the HDD? Do I simply just delete everything on it? Format it? (I hear formatting SSD/HDD are bad?) What are some of the options?

• To reinstall my windows, would I simply go into update and recovery and "Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows" Or should I boot the installer from my USB that I put my ISO in?

• Is there a way so that all the important things such as drivers and windows os files are kept in the SSD but have my Users (Documents, Downloads, etc) redirected to my HDD? I don't mind having the program files and (x86) in the SSD so I can install all the important drivers in there. As for installing new programs on to the HDD, would I need to make two different folders just like in the SSD? "Program files and Program files (x86). Or could I just create one folder, and redirect all my installation into that folder inside the HDD?

• I was browsing through a bunch of sites on what drivers and updates I should do. One of them was flashing the bios to a new firmware. Which now I believe I shouldn't have done as it may cause more problems in the future than help. I used an Asus z97 cap file which I flashed through the USB. Not really sure how I could revert back to my stock because I never bothered to write down the version (very unpractical of me). The file I downloaded was the Z97-A BIOS 2401 from the Asus site below.

• After reinstalling my OS, what files do I actually need to install from the Asus website? https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/45/6/1/ic9YbXVua78KEzSH/41/ I downloaded a couple of them last night after reading through forum posts on what I need, but some of the files would give me an error whether it's not compatible or it needs a certain program installed beforehand. If someone could suggest me the files that I need to install, I'll be very grateful as I felt I was downloading things that I may have not needed or may have been wrong. I'm currently using WiFi so not sure if Lan comes into count. One of the files for example that I couldn't run was the BIOS Version 4.00.01 as well as Intel Smart Connect Technology Software but I was able to install Intel AHCI/RAID/Intel Rapid Storage Technology/Intel Rapid Storage Technology 13.1.0.1058 - Which again I have no idea if I needed these.

• Lastly, I read about optimization for SSD and HDD during the process of installing Windows for longer lifespan as well as efficient use of it. If you're still with me throughout all these question, mind sharing some answers for this as well? On this note, I don't need to Advance Format my HDD do I? Even with a simple google search I still can't find answers to things like this  :(

P.S. I don't have an optical drive even though most of the computer parts had CD's for installation. I'm also using a Samsung 850 evo SSD, WD Blue 1TB HDD, i5 4690k, gtx970 msi.

Wall of text but I hope you guys could help me out yet again. I've wasted the past 2 days just searching all these things and was unable to find answers to actually get my new PC setup software wise and start using it the way I intended to which was the general browsing and hardcore gaming  <_< *Face palm*

I really appreciate the help I've gotten so far, THANKS GUYS! I mean it!

1.) Formatting drives is not bad for them. If you're bent on removing everything from the drive, reformatting is the quickest route.

2.) I would boot off of the Windows Installer, remove your boot drive partition, create a new one, and proceed with a completely fresh installation.

3.) I don't think you can redirect the User folder to a hard drive, but you can definitely redirect the default Music, Picture, Document, and Downloads folders if you so wish. You will find that option under properties of the respective folders.

4.) Flashing the BIOS is usually not required and if you don't need to, it's generally best to let the current revision stay on the BIOS chip.

5.)Which ones did you download? And did you pick the proper OS?

6.) I use the normal formatting process and Windows generally takes care of any kind of optimization on the SSD like Trim.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1.) Formatting drives is not bad for them. If you're bent on removing everything from the drive, reformatting is the quickest route.

2.) I would boot off of the Windows Installer, remove your boot drive partition, create a new one, and proceed a completely fresh installation.

3.) I don't think you redirect the User folder to a hard drive, but you can definitely redirect the default Music, Picture, Document, and Downloads folders if you so wish. You will find that option under properties of the respective folders.

4.) Flashing the BIOS is usually not required and if you don't need to, it's generally best to let the current revision stay on the BIOS chip.

5.)Which ones did you download? And did you pick the proper OS?

6.) I use the normal formatting process and Windows generally takes care of any kind of optimization on the SSD like Trim.

I've install the following from the website:

• Z97-A BIOS 2401 - Under BIOS Tab
  • Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.0.20 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) - Under Chipset
  • Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7344 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) - Under Audio
  • Turbo LAN V1.05.03 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bi t& Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit. - Under LAN and I'm not sure if I need that and/or Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Driver V19.1.51.0 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) from the same LAN Tab
  • Intel AHCI/RAID Driver Path for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V13.1.0.1058 for Windows Win7 64bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 64bit---(WHQL).

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V13.1.0.1058 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win8 32bit & Win8.1 32bit---(WHQL). - Under the SATA Tab

• I didn't download Version 1.00.83 file under Utilities, not sure if I need that?

How would I go about reformatting my HDD?

When you mention boot off Windows Installer, are you saying I should do this? http://bootableusb.net/install-windows-7-usb-drive-easy-way/ where I use the CMD tool to list disk, clean, select partition etc?

Also I don't recall the original BIOS version that it came with from stock shelf  :( not sure how I could "downgrade" to the original one.

Thanks!

I've install the following from the website:

• Z97-A BIOS 2401 - Under BIOS Tab
  • Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.0.20 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) - Under Chipset
  • Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7344 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) - Under Audio
  • Turbo LAN V1.05.03 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bi t& Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit. - Under LAN and I'm not sure if I need that and/or Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Driver V19.1.51.0 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) from the same LAN Tab
  • Intel AHCI/RAID Driver Path for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V13.1.0.1058 for Windows Win7 64bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 64bit---(WHQL).

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V13.1.0.1058 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win8 32bit & Win8.1 32bit---(WHQL). - Under the SATA Tab

• I didn't download Version 1.00.83 file under Utilities, not sure if I need that?

How would I go about reformatting my HDD?

When you mention boot off Windows Installer, are you saying I should do this? http://bootableusb.net/install-windows-7-usb-drive-easy-way/ where I use the CMD tool to list disk, clean, select partition etc?

Also I don't recall the original BIOS version that it came with from stock shelf  :( not sure how I could "downgrade" to the original one.

Thanks!

Downgrading is worthless - if you attempt to downgrade, the power could go out and you might be in some trouble. The BIOS update is done - I would just leave it be. I normally just format my hard drives from Computer or Disk Management. However if this is a boot drive, it would need to be done inside of the Windows Installer or inside of Windows after the installation is completed. When I say "Windows Installer," I'm referring to the Windows ISO that you use to install Windows with.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

~snip~

Hey Sol21,

I would listen to what @Godlygamer23 suggested. Here are my thoughts on this:

- A simple format should be sufficient-enough for everything. It basically deletes the partition table and your PC can no longer see the data on the drives and overwrites everything on top of your old data. You have this function in the Windows installer when you are aksed where to install the OS. 
For complete deletion of the data on the drives I would recommend "writing zeros" function of some software (WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic should do the trick: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Te2veF ) for the HDD and some software with "secure erase" for the SSD (usually the manufacturer has this software so I'd check their website). This is if you really need to clean wipe your storage drives instead of simply formatting them. 

- I would also recommend creating a bootable thumb drive with the Windows installation files for a complete clean install. Here's a link on how to do this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool . This tool should walk you through the process of creating a bootable thumb drive for installing Windows. :)

- Besides the default folders that @Godlygamer23 mentioned, you can also look into moving the pagefile and hiberfil files onto the HDD, play with their sized or disable them. This should free a decent amount of space on your SSD.

- Windows Update function should provide pretty much everything you need for your system. If something isn't working properly, I'd check the latest updates in the motherboard's manufacturer website or the specific hardware part's website. Do make sure you choose the proper OS for the updates. 

- Usually the tools provided by the motherboard are not essential, but are useful and can improve the whole system's performance. If you have doubts about them, I'd drop an e-mail to the support of the motherboard's manufacturer, they should provide you with some good explanations. 

- For the HDD I'd simply use it as it is, check its S.M.A.R.T. status every once in a while and occasionally check if it's fragmented. For the SSD simply make sure TRIM is enabled, also check the S.M.A.R.T. status and never defragment it (it would degrade the health of the drive). The OS should take care of everything else. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thank you everyone - Very informative and I can now finally have my mind at peace and use the desktop normally!  :D

I've came across something and wanted to know if I should delete these partitions?

Drive 0 Partition 1: Recovery - Total size:300mb Free Space 287mb - Type: Recovery

Drive 0 Partition 2: Total Size 99mb Free Space 69mb - Type: System

Drive 0 Partition 3: Total size 128mb Free Space 128mb - Type: MSR (Reserved)

I can delete format the first two partitions or delete all three. What should I do?

Drive 0 Partition 4 is my SSD Primary and I have Drive 1 Unallocated Space (my HDD) and only option for it is New.

I'll be installing Windows on SSD FYI.

Thanks guys

EDIT: I deleted all the Partition and formatted.