GTX 750TI OC system <£600/$750: AMD Kavari 7850K or Intel i5-4590?

I'm looking at several custom PC builders, and in my price range (<£600 ≈ US$750?) it seems I have two options for my CPU: AMD Kavari A10-7850K system or Intel i5-4590 system. Considering I want this system to last me a while, I have shortlisted a GTX 750TI (OC) as my GPU. In combination with a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, does this sound like it might last? In an attempt to make it last longer, what components should I choose differently (if any)?

Thank you very much for any advice!

For gaming, Intel all the way. AMD CPU have FPS stability problems. I hope that will be fixed when the Zen CPUs come out, or if they come out.

the i5 is a little big for a 750 ti.

This build is better then what outlined. little more bang for your buck.

dropped CPU to a i3, changed GPU to GTX 960 4GB

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£68.20 @ Amazon UK) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£19.62 @ CCL Computers) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£19.62 @ CCL Computers) 

Storage: Sandisk X110 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£37.58 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  (£189.63 @ Dabs) 

Case: Xigmatek Recon ATX Mid Tower Case  (£22.78 @ CCL Computers) 

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£39.98 @ Novatech) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£75.18 @ CCL Computers) 

Total: £599.66

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-09 12:09 BST+0100

Why not go for something like a 280X? 4GB 960's aren't really much use.

Edit:

Better solution for the GPU: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-sapphire-radeon-r9-380-nitro-oc-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-5800mhz-gddr5-985mhz-gpu-1792-streams-dp-hdmi

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

For gaming, Intel all the way. AMD CPU have FPS stability problems. I hope that will be fixed when the Zen CPUs come out, or if they come out.

the i5 is a little big for a 750 ti.

Thanks for the advice. I was impressed with the AMD's price, but I guess the old adage "you get what you pay for" is painfully true...

Why not go for something like a 280X? 4GB 960's aren't really much use.

To be honest, gaming isn't too much of a priority on this rig. It's just meant to be a solid computer that lasts, and I guess the CPU is more important for that than the GPU - or am I wrong?

This build is better then what outlined. little more bang for your buck.

dropped CPU to a i3, changed GPU to GTX 960 4GB

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (£87.08 @ Ebuyer)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£68.20 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£19.62 @ CCL Computers)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£19.62 @ CCL Computers)

Storage: Sandisk X110 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£37.58 @ Scan.co.uk)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card (£189.63 @ Dabs)

Case: Xigmatek Recon ATX Mid Tower Case (£22.78 @ CCL Computers)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£39.98 @ Novatech)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) (£75.18 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £599.66

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-09 12:09 BST+0100

Thank you very much for your effort! Will the downgrade in the CPU affect the longlivety of the system much? What effect does the GPU upgrade have on this?

To be honest, gaming isn't too much of a priority on this rig. It's just meant to be a solid computer that lasts, and I guess the CPU is more important for that than the GPU - or am I wrong?

What are you using it for then? because if it's for productivity like editing or something CPU heavy then AMD 6300is better, but again with gaming you will have lower FPS.

Thank you very much for your effort! Will the downgrade in the CPU affect the longlivety of the system much? What effect does the GPU upgrade have on this?

Yes the CPU will not last as long, but the GPU trade for the 960 will be better since the 750 ti is all ready out of date for current games.

What are you using it for then? because if it's for productivity like editing or something CPU heavy then AMD 6300is better, but again with gaming you will have lower FPS.

It will be a general purpose PC for my parents, but their current laptop was quite expensive and has needed nearly as many repairs as it cost, so I am looking for something that is quality built and has the kind of components that in 5 years might still be running well. Hence the SSD, hence the over-specced CPU.

Yes the CPU will not last as long, but the GPU trade for the 960 will be better since the 750 ti is all ready out of date for current games.

When you say not as long, are we talking a huge difference, or what? Ideally this needs to last 5 years! I will think about the 960, but they don't really game, so I think the money might be better spent on what they'll notice.

It will be a general purpose PC for my parents, but their current laptop was quite expensive and has needed nearly as many repairs as it cost, so I am looking for something that is quality built and has the kind of components that in 5 years might still be running well. Hence the SSD, hence the over-specced CPU.

Ok, I would wait till September/October for intel new CPU line. Since the on board graphics are greatly improved over there other CPU and you can skip the GPU, lowering the overall cost of the PC.

Ok, I would wait till September/October for intel new CPU line, since the on board graphics are greatly improved over there other CPU and you can skip the GPU.

Thanks, that's a really useful tip! Unfortunately, the laptop is really on its last legs and needs repairs now, because it will just randomly shut down, often 2 or 3 times in a session! It may just be an overheating clogged fan that needs cleaning, but we're no physical tech experts, so that'd be another repair. So, given that it needs to be bought before September, and gaming doesn't matter, what's now looking as the best option?

Thanks, that's a really useful tip! Unfortunately, the laptop is really on its last legs and needs repairs now, because it will just randomly shut down, often 2 or 3 times in a session! It may just be an overheating clogged fan that needs cleaning, but we're no physical tech experts, so that'd be another repair. So, given that it needs to be bought before September, and gaming doesn't matter, what's now looking as the best option?

Well right now, go for a NUC. there cheap and small.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DN2820FYKH-Celeron-N2820-support/dp/B00HVKLSVC/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1436441989&sr=1-7&keywords=NUC

and you will need SODIMM DDR3L http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-204-Pin-Notebook-CT51264BF160B/dp/B005LDLV6S/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Y3D7MRN9SGBSBKJ60GC

You will need to take the hard drive from the laptop and put it in the NUC with the Crucial RAM. the laptop RAM will not work in the NUC, I've tried.

Just unscrew the hard drive for the bottom of the laptop, very simple. and the NUC has 4 screws on the bottom to open it.

You will also need the Windows CD key since you are moving the OS to new hardware.

Also do they have a TV with HDMI?

Well right now, go for a NUC. there cheap and small.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DN2820FYKH-Celeron-N2820-support/dp/B00HVKLSVC/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1436441989&sr=1-7&keywords=NUC

and you will need SODIMM DDR3L http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-204-Pin-Notebook-CT51264BF160B/dp/B005LDLV6S/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Y3D7MRN9SGBSBKJ60GC

You will need to take the hard drive from the laptop and put it in the NUC with the Crucial RAM. the laptop RAM will not work in the NUC, I've tried.

Just unscrew the hard drive for the bottom of the laptop, very simple. and the NUC has 4 screws on the bottom to open it.

You will also need the Windows CD key since you are moving the OS to new hardware.

Also do they have a TV with HDMI?

Yep, we've got a display & all necessary peripherals.

Yep, we've got a display & all necessary peripherals.

Ok, the NUC should last a long time for them. just clean the air vents every year or so with a Qtip.

Ok, the NUC should last a long time for them. just clean the air vents every year or so with a Qtip.

Whenever I see the words Intel and Celeron and CPU I fear. Should I?

Whenever I see the words Intel and Celeron and CPU I fear. Should I?

No, there low watt CPUs (25-35 TDP), mainly used in laptops. They are weaker but a lot more power efficient. For general purpose use, they are fine. I just got my dad a NUC and it runs better then his old dual core desktop.

No, there low watt CPUs (25-35 TDP), mainly used in laptops. They are weaker but a lot more power efficient. For general purpose use, they are fine. I just got my dad a NUC and it runs better then his old dual core desktop.

Great! I will look into it. Until then, thanks a lot!

Great! I will look into it. Until then, thanks a lot!

Np, I just checked my amazon orders and the one I link is the same one I got for my dad.