Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 Overclock

IMadeYouReadThis
Go to solution Solved by Swegly,

ill just up my core clock 20 starting from 80 with unengine heaven 4.0 is that good? if not can u tell me a good stress tester

I like to use furmark that comes with afterburner but you can use any program you like. but otherwise just keep boosting by +20 yea.

Im  a noob to overclock but im interested in overclocking my G1. how do i start? i have msi afterburner and unengine heaven 4.0. what do i do now?

CPU: Intel i7 4700 GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 Storage: 1TB Western Blue RAM: 8 GB GDDR3 Operating Software: Windows 10 Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W Case: Shitty HP Case From Old Pre Built PC
<p>

Im  a noob to overclock but im interested in overclocking my G1. how do i start? i have msi afterburner and unengine heaven 4.0. what do i do now?

Start upping the core clock. Mine is currently boosted to +150 (havent gone further). Up it in increments of 20 starting at +80 and each time you up the core clock run the MSI Furmark program for around 5 minutes. Keep and eye out for artifacting and if the program does not crash you are clear to up it by 20 more. Repeat the same with the memory starting at +250(where I started) and up it by increments of +30 or +40 depending how patient you are. I just leave the memory at +300.

EDIT: After finding stable clocks, run unigine heaven and test results. I got around 55fps non-overclocked with my G1 970 and 61 after overclock.

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

Crank up the power limit to max and turn up the core frequency say around +100 and mem to around +400 and go from there slowly and see if you get a stable OC by stress testing. Once it fails the stress test then try upping the voltage and keep going until you find that sweet spot.

Start upping the core clock. Mine is currently boosted to +150 (havent gone further). Up it in increments of 20 starting at +80 and each time you up the core clock run the MSI Furmark program for around 5 minutes. Keep and eye out for artifacting and if the program does not crash you are clear to up it by 20 more. Repeat the same with the memory starting at +250(where I started) and up it by increments of +30 or +40 depending how patient you are. I just leave the memory at +300.

Can i use unengine heaven instead of furmark?

nvm didnt read ur edit

Edited by IMadeYouReadThis
CPU: Intel i7 4700 GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 Storage: 1TB Western Blue RAM: 8 GB GDDR3 Operating Software: Windows 10 Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W Case: Shitty HP Case From Old Pre Built PC
<p>

Crank up the power limit to max and turn up the core frequency say around +100 and mem to around +400 and go from there slowly and see if you get a stable OC by stress testing. Once it fails the stress test then try upping the voltage and keep going until you find that sweet spot.

wont let me up the voltage

using msi afterburner

<p>

Can i use unengine heaven instead of furmark?

Unigine heaven is more of a benchmarking tool rather than a stress tester. You should use the built in stress tester on the MSI Afterburner program.

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

wont let me up the voltage

using msi afterburner

Oh first you need to go into the settings for MSI afterburner and enable the unlocked voltage control and restart I think it was and then you can vary it.

EDIT: After finding stable clocks, run unigine heaven and test results. I got around 55fps non-overclocked with my G1 970 and 61 after overclock.

i heard furmark can kill ur card or am i stupid

<p>

Oh first you need to go into the settings for MSI afterburner and enable the unlocked voltage control and restart I think it was and then you can vary it.

if i put apply overclock at system startup does it save my overclock setting things like core clock

<p>

if i put apply overclock at system startup does it save my overclock setting things like core clock

Yes it will but make sure not to have that button checked while testing because if something goes wrong you dont wanna get locked out ;D

Should i put apply overclock at system startup

It applies the first one in order so number 1 but it's really your choice, I personally don't OC my card when I'm just doing work until I game and just switch over to another profile with my saved OC.

Furmark will cause HEAVY degredation, this is like you telling someone to put a dog in the microwave and letting it run for 5 minutes, OP don't do this unless you want a 970 made of bacon.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Unigine heaven is more of a benchmarking tool rather than a stress tester. You should use the built in stress tester on the MSI Afterburner program.

Whats the built in stress tester and how do i use it

<p>

Whats the built in stress tester and how do i use it

http://gyazo.com/151ad9f329e8d2d048c1cf6ea56b5c8e

Click the [K] Button above core voltage to the left.

http://gyazo.com/151ad9f329e8d2d048c1cf6ea56b5c8e

Click the [K] Button above core voltage to the left.

Hm the K is grayed out and when i click it does nothing

<p>

dont fucking use it, holy shit this guy..

what do i do than?

<p>

what do i do than?

heaven and valley or just play some BF4.

Follow the video that was posted earlier. Just do that. The guy in the video knows what he's talking about.

heaven and valley or just play some BF4.

ok i got heaven what do i do can u give me steps?

<p>

what do i do than?

I personally use valley to stress test or Adia 64 to load my GPU but gaming is the best test after a 30-60 min stress test usually. That's what I tend to do atleast and it works well for the most part.

Im pretty sure if you hover over the K it will tell you what is wrong and what to do.

dont fucking use it, holy shit this guy..

Why not?

Why not?

are you dumb, he'll kill his VRM's.