headphones won't mute speakers when plugged in

MxRider9637

hello everyone i recent bought the fiio e10k dac and the dt990pro 250ohm headphones. i currently have bose companion20 speakers i believe. how do i get the both of them to work properly? i want it so when i turn on the dac my normal speakers mute.

btw i have my dac connected to the front headphone port on the front panel i then have my speakers connected in the back with the line out

edit: i would be content if both the headphones and speakers work at the same time. then i can mute either or myself.

Probably something in software?

Or make one of these: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/217479-diystereo-io-ab-selector-image-heavy/

Plug a male-male 3.5mm cable into the one port connected to the center of the switch, then the dac to one of the side ports, and headphones to the other side port, that way you just flip a switch and boom, good to go.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

edit: i would be content if both the headphones and speakers work at the same time. then i can mute either or myself.

Plug the speakers into the back of the FiiO unit.

btw i have my dac connected to the front headphone port on the front panel i then have my speakers connected in the back with the line out

Oops, my bad.  :D

The DAC should send out a signal through the back no matter the volume knob setting, so there's no way to "mute" one or the other. You have to turn the volume down on whichever you don't want to hear when things are connected this way.

If you are willing to connect the speakers to the computer, I have a nifty little program that makes switching devices simpler: Audio Switcher

If only there were an inexpensive but good amp+DAC that allowed the amp to be powered off independently of the DAC.

If only there were an inexpensive but good amp+DAC that allowed the amp to be powered off independently of the DAC.

Or maybe one with a headphone/speaker switch?

Or maybe one with a headphone/speaker switch?

We can dream, indeed.