Error code 04 on Z77-UD3H after OCing 980

Vyrn
Go to solution Solved by Levent,

Could you elaborate on the power limit? I only upped the voltage by an extra 15mv, still well under the cards max. Is that what you were referring to? Or are you talking about the auxiliary power input next to the sata ports? Isn't the card receiving power straight from the power supply?

I am referring to aux power input on your motherboard, yes even though your graphics card is getting power feed mostly from power supply directly it will get 75w from pci-e and thats why you see low end cards with no external power input on them.

Ive been running the g1 gaming gigabyte 980 at just the factory overclock for a while now, but finally got around to OCing it yesterday. Right now, Im at 1378mhz base/1479mhz boost, and 7.6ghz on the memory, temperatures are low 50s under load.

Everything seems to be working just fine, but my boards code changed from A0, which is normal, to 04D4 (there is no 04, it was actually D4, they look identical) in use. In the manual this is a 'PCI resource allocation error'. The card held the overclock for 2hrs under 3dmark, and I didnt notice any artifacting, so Im assuming the overclock is stable.

The PC isnt crashing and the overclock is still here, so I havent noticed any symptoms other than the motherboard code. However, when I restart the PC the code switched back to a normal A0, but the overclock is reset to factory settings of 1228/1329mhz. This is what leads me to think the issue is with the card/oc and not the other components.

Should I be worried? Is it just the z77 chipset not having that kind of bandwidth? Ive gone through the few similar cases on Google I could find, but unfortunately none of them have been applicable.

I would either do one of two things. One Restore your settings to default on your GPU or slightly downgrade your overclock. Downgrade your overclock slightly and see if the error is still there.

You can take the chance with your motherboard and leave your overlock but if I was in your shoes I would not take the chance. Im allways better safe than sorry. Just think for a extra few fps in games your taking a chance with your motherboard and if it breaks alltogether its going to cost a lot more than a few extra fps in game.

its not the bandwidth that gave you error it was that you were pushing power limit of PCI-E interface, I had that issue with my UD5H and i fixed it by plugging the extra power molex connector to motherboard.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

its not the bandwidth that gave you error it was that you were pushing power limit of PCI-E interface, I had that issue with my UD5H and i fixed it by plugging the extra power molex connector to motherboard.

Could you elaborate on the power limit? I only upped the voltage by an extra 15mv, still well under the cards max. Is that what you were referring to? Or are you talking about the auxiliary power input next to the sata ports? Isn't the card receiving power straight from the power supply?

I am referring to aux power input on your motherboard, yes even though your graphics card is getting power feed mostly from power supply directly it will get 75w from pci-e and thats why you see low end cards with no external power input on them.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Ah, alright. Ill hook that up asap. Thanks for taking the time to help!