New headphone

eshbop

Hey guys, I've currently got a pair of HD439s which I actually like a lot (probably because I've never had proper headphones before these) but I'm thinking of getting a pair exclusively for computer listening while using my HD439 to listen to tunes when I'm out. I want them primarily for lossless music & I listen almost entirely to hip-hop. I like my bass but obviously not the over the top muddy sounding lows that you get with Beats for example. I want it to be a true upgrade from the HD439s so am not concerned with spending a bit on them. I'll also need something to drive them.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've got no clue when it comes to this kind of thing!

Cheers

What kind of sound solution are currently running and what are your budget?

Currently I've just got HD439 running off onboard, or I connect an AUX from the onboard into the front of a Micro Hifi system to run speakers. So not ideal.

I've also been wondering if I should maybe get a stereo amp or receiver and run optical from the mobo into it so I can make use of some decent speakers.

Probably keep it under $300-$250 for the headphones.

Currently I've just got HD439 running off onboard, or I connect an AUX from the onboard into the front of a Micro Hifi system to run speakers.

Probably keep it under $300-$250 for the headphones.

You could go for a upgrade within the Sennheiser line and go for the HD598's:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-High-End-Open-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374954475&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+598

You could also go with a pair of Beyerdynamic: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT990-PRO-Headset-250/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374954542&sr=1-5&keywords=beyerdynamic

Or a pair of Audio Technica: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TECHNICA-ATH-M50S-Headphones-Closed-headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374954592&sr=1-2&keywords=ath+m50

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Would the M50s be worth it over what I've already got though? I want the new pair to be a decent, noticeable upgrade over the HD439s. I realise this is probably a bit subjective due to different tastes in sound and sound signatures of different headphones. I guess I just want a better overall experience.

Thinking about open headphones for the soundstage.

Would the M50s be worth it over what I've already got though? I want the new pair to be a decent, noticeable upgrade over the HD439s. I realise this is probably a bit subjective due to different tastes in sound and sound signatures of different headphones. I guess I just want a better overall experience.

If you want open headphones you could go with the Beyerdynamic DT990's, since they have a open design. I prefer closed headphones my self, so I don't know alot of open headphones, unfortunately

If you want open headphones you could go with the Beyerdynamic DT990's, since they have a open design. I prefer closed headphones my self, so I don't know alot of open headphones, unfortunately

True. Is there any advantage of closed over open? Apart from not letting the world know what you're listening to. I thought I've read somewhere that closed tend to have more defined bass/lows?

True. Is there any advantage of closed over open? Apart from not letting the world know what you're listening to. I thought I've read somewhere that closed tend to have more defined bass/lows?

It's a tast thing really. I use closed headphone because I feel more "emerged" in the sound, and me and my wife share the same computer room, and she don't want to listen to gunshots and death metal while she works. 

Open headphones tends to have a more rich soundstage and a more vibrant sound image 

AD900x <- exellent soundstage, 200 dollar only but weak bass

grado 225i <- good sound stage, good bass also 200 dollar, but on ear, so you could mind that.

forgot to mention, both are very true to the sound, so quite considerable jump from your lower end sennheisers. you might not get the kick, but detail is outstanding.