Sapphire R9 390 - quieter than expected

wait, why are you getting a r9 390 after watching that? 970 won  :(

390 clearly won there and its a good overclocker aswell.

One problem with the gtx 970 is the coil whine.

My msi gtx 970 had coil whine, returned that, got the Asus gtx 970 that also had coil whine  <_<

Then got the G1 Gaming, which didn't´ so I guess that is the model to go with.

That's just luck of the draw.

With any of those models, or any card at all, you can find some people who have coil wine from their cards and others say there card does not have coil wine.

That's just luck of the draw.

With any of those models, or any card at all, you can find some people who have coil wine from their cards and others say there card does not have coil wine.

Yes, that´s true, sorry if I didn´t point it out correctly.

What I was meaning, is that when you buy a product that has some kind of an issue, it automatically affects your personal

opinion about it. In my case, two gtx 970´s with coil whine in a row didn´t increase the trust on that particular GPU model.

When the third card (Gigabyte G1 model) worked, I was very happy with that specific model.

And the fact is, that the gtx 970 model in general has had way more coil whine issues than other cards (gtx 980 for example). Even if the issue is just luck of the draw. That was my point sir.

Nice review @Kevmo7, did you encounter any problem installing the 390? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Yes, that´s true, sorry if I didn´t point it out correctly.

What I was meaning, is that when you buy a product that has some kind of an issue, it automatically affects your personal

opinion about it. In my case, two gtx 970´s with coil whine in a row didn´t increase the trust on that particular GPU model.

When the third card (Gigabyte G1 model) worked, I was very happy with that specific model.

And the fact is, that the gtx 970 model in general has had way more coil whine issues than other cards (gtx 980 for example). Even if the issue is just luck of the draw. That was my point sir.

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying.

I have an EVGA GTX760 and I found the cooler on that is louder than I think it should be, mainly because the minimum fan speed, even at idle, is 43% and this could not be lowered even manually turning it down with various GPU controlling software.

Even still, I think the fans on it are loud at any speed so when I was looking for a new graphics card I put EVGA a few rungs down in the manufacturer order I was interested in buying from due to the dissatisfaction I had with the cooler on the GTX760.

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying.

I have an EVGA GTX760 and I found the cooler on that is louder than I think it should be, mainly because the minimum fan speed, even at idle, is 43% and this could not be lowered even manually turning it down with various GPU controlling software.

Even still, I think the fans on it are loud at any speed so when I was looking for a new graphics card I put EVGA a few rungs down in the manufacturer order I was interested in buying from due to the dissatisfaction I had with the cooler on the GTX760.

Exactly, well said!

heyy i didn't now he was on LTT! @kevmo thanks so much for doing this review!

"release your inner doge"

-doge 2069

Yeah I did with the 390x at first, but I knew what to do with the 390, if you are getting the black screens and other issues you need to download DDU and make sure your system is completely clean of any other drivers, especially older 200 series drivers, that's what worked for me and its worked for a few others too.

sure, higher resolutions it performs better, still shit, slightly better. But you have to remember how well 970 overclocks, 390 doesn't.

did you watch Jayztwocents video on the 390 vs 970??? it was out last night (last night for me, maybe afternoon for you).

It could keep up with the OCd SSC 970.... why do you keep insisting on AMD cards being BAD, despite having ABSOLUTELY ZERO PROOF OF YOUR STATEMENTS.

one video says it doesnt OC well. A couple of others does OC. Perhaps not like the GTX 970, however YOU DO NOT NEED TO OC LIKE A GTX 970 IF YOU ARE AHEAD OF THE 970 TO BEGIN WITH. Which the 390 is. Perhaps by just a few %, but it still is ahead.

So.... what is the conclusion?

Prove to me, go buy a 390 and prove to me that you cannot OC it and that you cannot get it to match or be better then a 970. Then perhaps you will have some merit to your opinion. IN the meantime, here you go.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=k9cKZiJw6Pk

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=udXCusTnRsY

enjoy