Samsung and Oppo sued over bloatware in China

CaptainGazzz

That means all hard drive companies should be sued aswell

Not true, because HDD manufacturers state that a "1TB HDD" is 1,000,000,000,000 Byte drive. They're using the literal SI definition of "Tera" prefix.

So your 1TB HDD is in fact 1 trillion bytes big. This is a long standing problem with the industry, when they co-opted a prefix that has a different definition than used. The "--bibyte" prefix was invented to solve this. so 1TB (Where 1TB = 1024 GB) is actually renamed to 1TiB (TiB meaning Tebibyte).

It's confusing as fuck, and certainly isn't good, but it's also easier to manufacture a HDD that has a solid even number of bytes (and therefore sectors).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Hahahaha china helping citizens. hahahahahahaha.

LOL Anti suicide nets in their factories?

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Yeah, but do they? Have you ever had a 1tb driver with 1024 gb's usable?? No, its always 980 and up.

There was a series of lawsuits back in the early 2000's because of this, WD, Seagate and Hitachi I believe were sued due to misrepresenting storage space on HDD's, and ever since then HDD manufacturers and Flash storage manufacturers have stated on their packaging that 1GB is equal to 1billion Bytes using the Base10 counting system and stipulate that OS's measure it differently and that some space is lost due to formatting, which while not technically untrue, it does allow them to sell you far less than you pay for.

In fact if you use a HDD in OS X you'll see that it measures storage in Base10, meaning that a 1TB HDD is 1trillion Bytes, whereas Windows reports it in Base2 which would make it 1.024trillion Bytes, but because the HDD manufacturer only makes a 1TB HDD 1trillion Bytes in size it results in the 980GB you see, which results in OS X reporting the claimed storage as correct when Windows doesn't, even though Windows is also correct.

It's super confusing for those who don't know that computers count in Base2 instead of how humans count, which is Base10 and they still think they're being short changed when technically they aren't.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

There was a series of lawsuits back in the early 2000's because of this, WD, Seagate and Hitachi I believe were sued due to misrepresenting storage space on HDD's, and ever since then HDD manufacturers and Flash storage manufacturers have stated on their packaging that 1GB is equal to 1billion Bytes using the Base10 counting system and stipulate that OS's measure it differently and that some space is lost due to formatting, which while not technically untrue, it does allow them to sell you far less than you pay for.

In fact if you use a HDD in OS X you'll see that it measures storage in Base10, meaning that a 1TB HDD is 1trillion Bytes, whereas Windows reports it in Base2 which would make it 1.024trillion Bytes, but because the HDD manufacturer only makes a 1TB HDD 1trillion Bytes in size it results in the 980GB you see, which results in OS X reporting the claimed storage as correct when Windows doesn't, even though Windows is also correct.

It's super confusing for those who don't know that computers count in Base2 instead of how humans count, which is Base10 and they still think they're being short changed when technically they aren't.

Just for clarification - I've seen this mistake a few times in this thread:

1 TB (Terabyte) does NOT equal 980 GiB (Gibibytes). It equals 931 GiB.

I've not once ever seen a 1 TB HDD format into 980 GB of useable space.

Use this calculator here if you don't want to do the math yourself:

http://www.convertunits.com/from/terabyte/to/gibibyte

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Not true, because HDD manufacturers state that a "1TB HDD" is 1,000,000,000,000 Byte drive. They're using the literal SI definition of "Tera" prefix.

So your 1TB HDD is in fact 1 trillion bytes big. This is a long standing problem with the industry, when they co-opted a prefix that has a different definition than used. The "--bibyte" prefix was invented to solve this. so 1TB (Where 1TB = 1024 GB) is actually renamed to 1TiB (TiB meaning Tebibyte).

It's confusing as fuck, and certainly isn't good, but it's also easier to manufacture a HDD that has a solid even number of bytes (and therefore sectors).

Alright, I understand now so does that mean windows gives the capacity of the drive in TiB?

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Alright, I understand now so does that mean windows gives the capacity of the drive in TiB?

Yes, Windows shows capacity in TiB (Though, confusingly, they still use "TB").

Just for clarification - I've seen this mistake a few times in this thread:

1 TB (Terabyte) does NOT equal 980 GiB (Gibibytes). It equals 931 GiB.

I've not once ever seen a 1 TB HDD format into 980 GB of useable space.

Use this calculator here if you don't want to do the math yourself:

http://www.convertunits.com/from/terabyte/to/gibibyte

Yeah I know, I didn't do the math and couldn't really be arsed to double check, my bad ^__^

I really shouldn't comment when I'm tired, my brain ends up farting :D

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon