War Thunder only using 1 core?

Hey guys,

I have taken up war thunder lately, and it works decently on my rig for the most part, but when shit goes down (explosions, and smoke), my fps tanks to the 30's, and tht coupled with my monitor leads to some gnarly screen tearing.

I brushed it off as I could deal with it, but lately it seems to have gotten worse/ more frequent so I decided to try and find out what was the cause.

Since I usually have msi afterburner's overlay running, I can diagnose problems like this, but in this case the gpu usage drops in these sections of intensity, which leaves the cpu to blame. Sure enough, when I checked task manager, (with the graph set to logical cores) one core is being maxed out, while the rest hover around 15%. Due to this changing the settings/ resolution does not really help, as my 780ti can handle the game at 1440p no problem unless I crank up the aa.

I have even reinstalled the game, and everything was the same, even down to the core that was being maxed. Same thing happens on my laptop as well, so it is leaving me baffled, as to what I can do to actually play the damn game at a constant fps (its sort of annoying having the fps drop, in the times you need it the most)

post-11673-0-99564800-1436105713_thumb.p

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Hey guys,

I have taken up war thunder lately, and it works decently on my rig for the most part, but when shit goes down (explosions, and smoke), my fps tanks to the 30's, and tht coupled with my monitor leads to some gnarly screen tearing.

I brushed it off as I could deal with it, but lately it seems to have gotten worse/ more frequent so I decided to try and find out what was the cause.

Since I usually have msi afterburner's overlay running, I can diagnose problems like this, but in this case the gpu usage drops in these sections of intensity, which leaves the cpu to blame. Sure enough, when I checked task manager, (with the graph set to logical cores) one core is being maxed out, while the rest hover around 15%. Due to this changing the settings/ resolution does not really help, as my 780ti can handle the game at 1440p no problem unless I crank up the aa.

I have even reinstalled the game, and everything was the same, even down to the core that was being maxed. Same thing happens on my laptop as well, so it is leaving me baffled, as to what I can do to actually play the damn game at a constant fps (its sort of annoying having the fps drop, in the times you need it the most)

Weird. My i5 4460 has around 30-40% usage all 4 cores when I run war thunder on high. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Weird. My i5 4460 has around 30-40% usage all 4 cores when I run war thunder on high. 

Yeah, I would at least expect it to be fine on the newly downloaded version on my laptop, bu the exact same thing happens...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Yeah, I would at least expect it to be fine on the newly downloaded version on my laptop, bu the exact same thing happens...

That's odd. I wonder if it's a setting somewhere in the files you can fix. Honestly though, that game ran fine on my C2D and a gtx 260, I hardly see your i7 losing fps even if it's just 1 core. Then again you're on 1440p. :/ idk man google is your best friend right now

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

• 10 months later...

Hey guys I know this post is really old but, I had this same problem today and tried many thing but the most stupid thing fixed it. I have a quadcore i5 4430 (no hypertherading). While the game was running I went to task manager opened affinity in aces.exe and deselected the core that ran at 100%. Clicked accept, opened the game tab and it was running normally, went back to affinity settings and re selected that core again. Done, fixed, now all cores are running balanced.

5 hours ago, SoberTech Pone said:

Hey guys I know this post is really old but, I had this same problem today and tried many thing but the most stupid thing fixed it. I have a quadcore i5 4430 (no hypertherading). While the game was running I went to task manager opened affinity in aces.exe and deselected the core that ran at 100%. Clicked accept, opened the game tab and it was running normally, went back to affinity settings and re selected that core again. Done, fixed, now all cores are running balanced.

haha yep. I also found that out recently after nearly a year of dealing with sub 60 fps...

The way I did it is by deselecting the core that was being maxed, then re-selecting it. There are still fps drops even though the cpu and gpu arent being maxed, but I cant be bothered to fix it because its good enough now...

Yeah the problem is that I had to do it each time I opened the game.

• 2 years later...

I had this problem today with my R5 1400 and GTX 1050Ti glad it still works.