I need YOU to tell which router to buy!

NightMiu

I'm in the mood for a router upgrade, currently I have a D-link Dir655 and its been good over the years but I need something that haz more of them beautiful bits and bytes and better coverage. My budget is somewhere around 2500kr (300USD but everything here is more expensive than in the land of tha free, so its maybe its closer to 250 buckets of water)

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

first question: what does the router need to do?

- wireless? (also bgn or bgnac?)

- gigabit?

- vpn?

- any other features?

i personally have the linksys lrt214 because of some advanced features.

if you need wireless i can *sorta* recommend the asus RT-AC68U, i personally had some bad luck with them, but afterwards i found out theres a problem with the power socket i plugged it into (that socket has killed 5 routers and 2 computers trough time)

first question: what does the router need to do?

- wireless? (also bgn or bgnac?)

- gigabit?

- vpn?

- any other features?

i personally have the linksys lrt214 because of some advanced features.

if you need wireless i can *sorta* recommend the asus RT-AC68U, i personally had some bad luck with them, but afterwards i found out theres a problem with the power socket i plugged it into (that socket has killed 5 routers and 2 computers trough time)

I have no idea what bgn and bgnac is. At least four gigabit ports would be nice, I have a vpn but its all software based. No other features other than a good wireless connection around the house. I have been looking at the Asus one, looks very nice :)

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk

That is also a nice one

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

D-Link Viper.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

I have no idea what bgn and bgnac is. At least four gigabit ports would be nice, I have a vpn but its all software based. No other features other than a good wireless connection around the house. I have been looking at the Asus one, looks very nice :)

That is also a nice one

i've had the asus one, and i'd still have it if my dang power socket didnt kill two of them.

they're nice routers, but they dont like iffy power.

LinkSys WRT54G...classic...

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

D-Link Viper.

That thing looks like a sex toy.

i've had the asus one, and i'd still have it if my dang power socket didnt kill two of them.

they're nice routers, but they dont like iffy power.

Hmm, So I think it stands between the asus one and the bigger brother of the nighthawk (7500).

Got any recommendations for a external hdd I could hook up to the router? Thinking somewhere around 2tb