Rust Oleum spray paint - Any good?

Go to solution Solved by Necrodead,

Is Rust Oleum good though? I heard Plasti-Dip was great but nothing about this paint.

Its gonna be like any generic metal paint. Define 'good.'

IMO its better than plasti-dip becasue plasti-dip goes on thick and will increase tempratures more than a coat of paint. Check out the link in my sig if you want to see rust-oleum in action.

Hey world!

Recently I have been planning out a mod for my pc and case. I have decided to go with a hot pink/ gun metal grey theme because I think that is quite rare and I like to be unique :)

I will be painting:

- Motherboard heatsinks

- Ram heatsinks

- Plastic fan rings (Corsair AF140)

- Perhaps certain areas of the side panels

These are the items I will be painting Hot pink.

I was wondering if http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/rust-oleum-hot-pink---mode-spray-paint---400ml-125010 would be any good to withstand these conditions.

I will be using Plasti-Dip for the gun metal grey, but I am not sure if the Rust Oleum can withstand these tempuratures.

Thanks!

Max

amnerd  B) Linux enthusiast. 

• CPU: Intel i5 4690k @3.5ghz  Motherboard: MSI U3 Plus Z97 GPU: Radeon R9 270x 2gb OC HDD: WD Green 3tb SDDs: Samsung 120gb, Kingston V300 120gb Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair V650 Fans: Corsair AF14 x4 CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO (Upgrading soon)     

I used it for my Corsair fan rings and to paint my GPU shroud and it worked just fine. Be careful and follow the directions, and spray for a good couple seconds before your first spray though. The gold-ish stuff I got would leave dark spots easily if you weren't careful. I'm no pro though, and rarely interact with paint; but that's what I noticed.

It'll be just fine for the plastics. Here's a vid of NCIX painting a heatsink with normal plasti-dip. They didn't have any heat problems, so you'll most likely be fine.

I don't do signatures.

Yeah that paint is good, I use it for my builds. Should withstand any temp a computer can generate. Only thing to be aware of is either do a coat after less than 1 hour from the last coat, or wait 48 hours. If you paint in that time you will usually get wrinkles in the paint.

I used it for my Corsair fan rings and to paint my GPU shroud and it worked just fine. Be careful and follow the directions, and spray for a good couple seconds before your first spray though. The gold-ish stuff I got would leave dark spots easily if you weren't careful. I'm no pro though, and rarely interact with paint; but that's what I noticed.

It'll be just fine for the plastics. Here's a vid of NCIX painting a heatsink with normal plasti-dip. They didn't have any heat problems, so you'll most likely be fine.

Is Rust Oleum good though? I heard Plasti-Dip was great but nothing about this paint.

• CPU: Intel i5 4690k @3.5ghz  Motherboard: MSI U3 Plus Z97 GPU: Radeon R9 270x 2gb OC HDD: WD Green 3tb SDDs: Samsung 120gb, Kingston V300 120gb Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair V650 Fans: Corsair AF14 x4 CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO (Upgrading soon)     

IMO its better than plasti-dip becasue plasti-dip goes on thick and will increase tempratures more than a coat of paint. Check out the link in my sig if you want to see rust-oleum in action.

Thanks! I am checking out your build. It's very good :D

It has about the same heat tolerance as Plasti dip IIRC, so it should be just fine, especially if you don't put it on too heavily. The heatsinks can afford to get a bit hotter; after all, in some systems there's almost no airflow at all.

I don't do signatures.

Thanks! I am checking out your build. It's very good :D

Yes Rustoleum and Krylon are good and any spray paint can withstand the temp from VRM or heatsinks, there isn't a need for any high temp spray paint.

Thanks guys! You have been a great help to me! A log of my mod *might* be coming in a few weeks :)