Watercooling set-up

Hey guys

so i've been looking at closed waterloops and decided that a custom water loop was better for me. i was planning on having a cpu+gpu block (with the possibility of adding a second gpu later on) and was wondering what was the best 'kit' to go with.

so what parts do you guys recommend, what brands and parts should i really be looking at.

just fyi, i have a chaser mk1 case, 7970s and im using the lga1155 sockets

this is for my friend :p

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

As marto said, your case really doesn't support that kind of water cooling, you're better off going with an H100i or something and air cooling your 7970.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

okay thanks guys :) will pass this on to my friend who asked

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Annything EKWB or swifttech :P

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

Kinda got the wrong case for water cooling there mate. You could get a 240 in the roof, but really I wouldn't be comfortable doing a cpu and gpu on anything less than 4x120mm worth of radiator space. Maybe 3x120 if your using thick rads and really good fans.

ATM im running 2x HD6970 and a AMD phenom x6 T1100 at a 4x120 rad thin both gpu's are over 30C lower then they were at load CPU didnt realy change in temp since it gets heated from the water in the loop that gets about 50C from the GPU's to max 60C

Idle is 40C or just above.

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

Positioning of components in the loop makes almost zero difference in the cooling they get from the loop you know?

Your coolant is only going to change a degree or two tops on it's way around the loop in an absolute worst case scenario. Your post also kind of backs my point up there. a 4x120mm thin rad is only just giving good enough cooling for a cpu and 2 gpus, if you really wanna see some benefits from water cooling then a 4x120mm thin rad on a cpu and single gpu is ideal. As a rule of thumb, if your doing a custom loop use a 3x120mm thin rad for the cpu plus a 120mm for each extra component in the loop at minimum for good temps :D

i know but couldnt fit a bigger rad into my Raven RV01 so :P 

And i know temp doesnt change but it peaks at the temp of my GFX those 2 heat up the water and that makes my CPU run slightly higher.

Although im still happy with the result went mainly for looks.

Yes i know its absurd €700 for looks :P

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Hey guys

so i've been looking at closed waterloops and decided that a custom water loop was better for me. i was planning on having a cpu+gpu block (with the possibility of adding a second gpu later on) and was wondering what was the best 'kit' to go with.

so what parts do you guys recommend, what brands and parts should i really be looking at.

Do not buy kits. There are various reasons for this. I should start off by saying there is nothing bad with a kit. It will work properly and would will have a loop by the end of it. However, in kits the parts you get are typically low-end. I would never recommend a non-laing pump for a loop. Laing pumps are known for being quiet and reliable working for years without any issues. This is just an example. Kits tend to have lower quality everything. Secondly when buying a kit you will not be able to prioritize what you want in a loop. Maybe you are focusing on performance, maybe on looks? A kit will not give you this choice.

Most importantly a kit will not let you learn. Believe me when I say water cooling is a big investment, not only of money but also of time. If you feel that taking your time to look up components and make a parts list and doing research is something you would rather not do then you will be in for a shock later on. If you ever have a problem with your loop you will be much better placed after you have done your research and after selecting your own parts. If this is for your friend then he is the one that should be doing the research.

Therefore I advise you to go to the two stickys HERE and HERE and spend time reading about watercooling, then make a parts list and draw a diagram of what your loop is going to be, then ask us to review your parts and let you know what we think of the parts you have chosen. Most of the parts out there are good, if you pick something bad we will tell you but don't let that influence your choices.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.