Abnormal CPU temps

Yuval

First off, i'll get to the relevant specs

I5 4690K, non overclocked, due to temps -.-

Z97-A Motherboard

Corsair H60 2013+Noctua F12, using noctua thermal paste.

My idle temps are at 45C, the weather outside is 25C. I've tried maxing out both CPU pump and fan and this had not much impact on the temps. (also maxing my 2 140mm intake fans)

At load it gets up to 85-90C, and i can't accept this as normal.

On all parts i have warranty, is there anything for me to try before sending my PC to be checked?

:/

did you reapply the thermal paste, maybe you messed up in first place?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

are you sure the pump is circulating water properly? my idle temps are about 40-45 but my load never gets more than 64C

40-45 is pretty toasty for idle. my chip is around 39-32 celsius without doing anything. EDIT: could be a faulty cooler :P

Edited by Colt_0pz

First off, i'll get to the relevant specs

I5 4690K, non overclocked, due to temps -.-

Z97-A Motherboard

Corsair H60 2013+Noctua F12, using noctua thermal paste.

My idle temps are at 45C, the weather outside is 25C. I've tried maxing out both CPU pump and fan and this had not much impact on the temps. (also maxing my 2 140mm intake fans)

At load it gets up to 85-90C, and i can't accept this as normal.

On all parts i have warranty, is there anything for me to try before sending my PC to be checked?

Try removing the block, cleaning the block and CPU up and then using some fresh thermal paste. If this doesn't work, either you're running at a silly voltage, or your cooler is defective. To check this, grab your stock heatsink and put it on the CPU. If the temps are okay, then the watercooler is defective.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

are you sure the pump is circulating water properly?

Any way to test this?

Try removing the block, cleaning the block and CPU up and then using some fresh thermal paste. If this doesn't work, either you're running at a silly voltage, or your cooler is defective. To check this, grab your stock heatsink and put it on the CPU. If the temps are okay, then the watercooler is defective.

Never had remarkable temps on my previous CPU with the stock thermal paste. I'll try reapplying the paste to see.

Can you guys recommend a good CPU testing utility?

Never had remarkable temps on my previous CPU with the stock thermal paste. I'll try reapplying the paste to see.

Can you guys recommend a good CPU testing utility?

Adia 64 is the best, as said try remounting sounds like mounting pressure issue. 

my room is a good 33C, it sits at 4.2GHz the whole time anyway

run the CPU up to full, see if there is hot air coming out from the rad

There is plenty of hot air

These are the temps whilst using aida 64 65b1f3376b.png

These are the temps whilst using aida 64

-PIC-

I would say that is the upper limit, fairly hot if it's at stock temps without any overclock. One thing to note make sure the backplate for the cooler is installed the right way up:

350x700px-LL-a71b1057_backplate.png

I would say that is the upper limit, fairly hot if it's at stock temps without any overclock. One thing to note make sure the backplate for the cooler is installed the right way up:

350x700px-LL-a71b1057_backplate.png

It is installed correctly

It is installed correctly

What your ambient temps and is there good airflow through the case?

I'm not sure if it suffers the same problem as the H100i but there is a washer fix to apply more mounting pressure:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=671101&postcount=28

I'd agree with the above post^

Is the backplate at the back of the motherboard loose? a few Z97 boards had issues with Corsairs mounting, can easily be fixed by applying some O-Rings/rubber washers had to do this with mine. 

• 1 month later...

Big bump, but it's getting pretty annoying

I reinstalled some thermal paste and cranked the RPM setting to the highest, 4700RPM in AI Suite (as instructed on the internet)

My Temps are acceptable, still high

the issue now is that the PUMP has a very high pitch which changes all the time, sort of "flickers" form high pitch to very high etc...​

Only way to remove it is by reducing the CPU Pump speed by about half, which fucks the CPU temps up.

also I moved about the PC abit and it sounded as if the pump had bubbles in it for a second, nothing I can replicate.

I have a warranty but the retailer I bought it from told me that if they don't find any malfunction I will be charged for "inspection" 20EU.

Any way I can fix this? or is the only solution to RMA my water cooler