/thread

I just can't commit to this project yet, so I find it unfair to ask help planning. Thank you for those who helped, but I think I need to think about this more.

Previous thread:

So I think I'm FINALLY going to be watercooling, and I wanted to do something different. I was really impressed with @Maki Role's Loramentum, a rather insane acrylic wall mounted rig, when I saw it a few months ago. After seeing a few other people's wall mounted rigs, I thought I wanted to give it a shot.

If you could give me some reasoning behind what you picked in the poll that would be great!

Dilemma #1:

mITX vs mATX & X99 vs keeping Z87

Yvnuxjet.jpg vs 3BZ9Q2Ot.jpg vs YQDJbcot.jpg vs Jq4erlat.jpg

Currently running in my rig is an MSI Z87I AC with a 4670k. I also have my hands on a Maximus VI Gene, which is a sick board that I'd love to use.

I'm debating selling it all and going X99, which I could go mATX or mITX with a 5820k, really just for the extra cores for productivity applications or streaming or possible tangible gaming performance improvement with DX12 (doesn't DX12 scale well with more cores even after 4 cores?)

The concerns here are that the ASUS board has a lot of red on it, and I'd like a blue or all black motherboard as it will be a blue themed build.

I've been having a lot of errors with my current config with the mITX MSI board and am really wanting to get rid of it, in fears of it causing more compatibility issues in the future.

The 4670k really has run me well, and I don't think I really would notice a difference with the 5820k, it would also take time to sell the components and even after selling the components I would have to shell out $300+ for the upgrade.

Z87 mATX is looking good for me at the moment, however I am concerned about the red on the RoG board.

TL;DR:

Z87 ITX: already have a board, smaller, but I think the board has been causing system errors

Z87 mATX: already have a board, great board, has red accents in a blue themed build

X99 ITX: kind of out of the question TBH, don't want to use a narrow ILM cooler

X99 mATX: new great evga board coming out soon, would not color clash, cost a lot of $$$ with not much performance increase

Dilemma #2:

Layout

There are a lot of different ways I could lay out the PC, however I would like this wall mount to be somewhat like an actual PC case, so having the GPU and Motherboard I/O on the same side and nearest to the edge of the 'case' would be the best. I only need one 3.5" drive and one 2.5" drive. The GPU would be using a PCI-E 3.0 16x extension cable, allowing it to be layed flat. The PSU is a 450w SFX PSU that I own currently, I could go with a regular PSU but 450w is just enough and the smaller footprint seems to actually be very useful in a build like this. I am worried it looks a bit out of place, but

Yes I am aware the reservoir is sideways.

mitx UFFKRofm.png vs matx (couldn't find a VI model so went with a V model) BHYC1gjm.jpg

Those are the two models I came up with, let me know if you have any suggestions for changes. It currently it has a 360mm radiator, but I could opt for a 420 blazeit mm radiator or even a 480mm radiator, as it might fit better, especially in the mATX build. I want to keep it pretty compact, as the wall mounts I've seen waste a TON of space, and because this will have to fit somewhere on a wall.

Dilemma #3:

Open vs Windowed

CegFGyqm.jpg vszW0n3zYm.jpg

I'm not sure whether I want this wall mount to be completely open or just open with a window on top. Either would be fine really, I just see the window helping prevent dust buildup and maybe add an extra bit of noise dampening for the radiator fans.

Dilemma #4:

Wood & Vinyl & Acrylic vs Metal (probably aluminum) vs Metal & Acrylic

Q8I465Sm.jpg vs MrCN3c6m.jpg

Most if not all the wall mounts I've seen online are using wood as a base, then these cool acrylic LED mounts for the hardware. They also line the wood with Vinyl. I would use just matte black vinyl, I find the carbon fibre vinyl to be tacky in such large quantities. The reason I would opt for Wood & Vinyl & Acrylic would be the aesthetics of the Acrylic LEDs, and the easier assembly.

I have not seen a custom built Aluminum or other metal wall mount chassis yet, so it would be a cool project to attempt. I am worried that I would not be able to tackle the project as metal work is not as easy as wood work for me, having no reference to go off of from someone else constructing a chassis out of metal is a challenge too. Painting the aluminum I am worried about too, as I'm not the best at spray painting.

I think those are all my dilemmas, (totally off topic, but before this post I thought it was spelled "dilemna" which turns out to be a hyper error).

If you could vote in the poll and give me some reasoning behind your choices in the replies that would be great!

Thanks!

A nice smoked window, like the Lian le PC-05 with Metal or carbon fiber would look really nice, also a nice accent colour would be killer

A nice smoked window, like the Lian le PC-05 with Metal or carbon fiber would look really nice, also a nice accent colour would be killer

Yeah I'm not sure if I want to do smoked or not, it will have a lot of LEDs so smoked might look a lot better. The vinyl would have to be flat black. I'm not a fan of the ALL carbon fiber builds people do, I find it tacky.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Note: Offline for the night will check back some results in the morning and maybe bump the thread