Internet Solutions

SuspiciousBadger
Go to solution Solved by monsieurgoat,

Yes. Get the TPLink powerline kit. I use their routers and wifi cards and have worked really well for me. They also have a pretty much 5 star rating on amazon. 

at others ... seriously read the post.

Hi LinusTechTips,

I recently moved to a new house and with new houses come new routers etc. As the fiber guy was done I ran several speed tests and found the connection to be very unstable it would spike in between 0 Mbps and 20 Mbps (Megabits not bytes). This is of course fairly annoying, it isn't that bad while watching videos and casually browsing the web but it is horrible in video games, there are massive ping spikes and it is unplayable (Causing a lot of server kicks in BF4 and DC's in League). Router is called Experia Box v8 and my ISP is Telfort/KPN.

After doing some research I found out that the router my ISP sent me sucks hard, and nearly everybody using it has had issues with wireless (Even people in the middle of nowhere so it is not a channel issue). My parents will not allow an Ethernet cable running through the staircase so power line it shall be! I am looking for a not to expensive power line kit with preferably 2 Ethernet ports so I can run a cable to my dads office so he can play his precious World of Tanks AND wireless extender so we can have stable wifi as far as that extender reaches. 

I found this one myself it is in my budget and looks good (But is it?): 

TP-LINK TL-WPA4220 KIT 300 Mbps AV500 Wifi Powerline Adapter startset 

Thanks alot!

Hi LinusTechTips,

I recently moved to a new house and with new houses come new routers etc. As the fiber guy was done I ran several speed tests and found the connection to be very unstable it would spike in between 0 Mbps and 20 Mbps (Megabits not bytes). This is of course fairly annoying, it isn't that bad while watching videos and casually browsing the web but it is horrible in video games, there are massive ping spikes and it is unplayable (Causing a lot of server kicks in BF4 and DC's in League). Router is called Experia Box v8 and my ISP is Telfort/KPN.

After doing some research I found out that the router my ISP sent me sucks hard, and nearly everybody using it has had issues with wireless (Even people in the middle of nowhere so it is not a channel issue). My parents will not allow an Ethernet cable running through the staircase so power line it shall be! I am looking for a not to expensive power line kit with preferably 2 Ethernet ports so I can run a cable to my dads office so he can play his precious World of Tanks AND wireless extender so we can have stable wifi as far as that extender reaches. 

I found this one myself it is in my budget and looks good (But is it?): 

TP-LINK TL-WPA4220 KIT 300 Mbps AV500 Wifi Powerline Adapter startset 

Thanks alot!

Xenofen

maybe get a better router?

I rec NightHawk

you could try phoning your internet provider they might give you a different one if you complain enough

I can recommend Asus N66U as a good router. I get around 50 mbps on wireless with that.

you could try phoning your internet provider they might give you a different one if you complain enough

Well based on the ISP's forum nobody got a new router even after weeks of calling, mailing and more.

I can recommend Asus N66U as a good router. I get around 50 mbps on wireless with that.

Too expensive :/ is that Powerline kit I mentioned good? Looks my the best option for me.

Yes. Get the TPLink powerline kit. I use their routers and wifi cards and have worked really well for me. They also have a pretty much 5 star rating on amazon. 

at others ... seriously read the post.