Sli with the same cards, with different ram sizes

i recently built a new computer, ill list specs later, but I bought a ACX cooler 780 SC with 3 gbs of ram, and im looking to add a second in the near future, but i have an odd question. I know when you sli the same card with different ram amounts that the cards will drop down to the lower amount of ram. 

But what if i bought a 6 GB, ACX cooler 780, made it the first card, and used  my current 3 GB card for the second, could i set some games (that dont support sli) to run that first card with the full 6GBs of ram just fine, or since ill have a 6GB and a 3GB in the same machine will it always run at 3GB even if the game im playing doesnt support sli. 

Thanks in advance.

----Specs----

intel 5820K

16 gbs of gskill ripjaws ddr4

256 gb ssd

ACX 3GB 780 SC

ASRock X99 Extreme 6

1000 watt rose will power supply 

If it was AMD Crossfire this would be possible.But it is NVIDIA SLI so it is not possible

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

They work but you only get 3gb, the rest of the vram on the 6gb card would be wasted

on the forum that Glenwing linked, it mentioned that two different vram sizes will just default the cards to the lower amount, and I know sli will do that, i just want to know if i have a game set to NOT use SLI, if it will still be 3gbs, even if the second card is not being used by the game.

on the forum that Glenwing linked, it mentioned that two different vram sizes will just default the cards to the lower amount, and I know sli will do that, i just want to know if i have a game set to NOT use SLI, if it will still be 3gbs, even if the second card is not being used by the game.

Some random forum user said that, but the NVIDIA staff corrected him below.

e8fe8dbb0b.png