Weird router/modem problem

Wiplive
Go to solution Solved by Leonard,

Firmware Version:

3.13.27 Build 120802 Rel.51024n
Hardware Version:
WR841N v8 00000000

--86'd---

You need to connect the modem to the blue(WAN) port on the router and plug the PC into any of the yellow ports then restart your modem and network adapter...should work.

Hello, so recently I built my own computer and I have a problem with the network. I'll try to explain this as simple as I can.

Basically, when I plug the Ethernet cable from Modem to PC - it doesn't work at all but when I plug the Ethernet from Router to PC it works, but at a much slower speed ~100 mbits (Router is pretty cheap one so that's probably why, my speed is ~300 Mbits). How do I fix this weird issue? When I plug in my laptop it works either way - with modem and with router. Maybe I should try a different cable? (but I used the cable on laptop and it worked).

If your laptop is working fine then the issue is with your PC. I think it might be your drivers so download the latest drivers for your motherboard and if that doesn't work there might be a problem with your network card on your PC.

[ Rig: CPU: 4930K, GPU: EVGA 780TI SC x2, RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Mobo: ASUS P9 X79 LE, Storage: 120GB Samsung EVO + 2TB Seagate Barracuda, PSU: Corsair RM1000 ]

Hello, so recently I built my own computer and I have a problem with the network. I'll try to explain this as simple as I can.

Basically, when I plug the Ethernet cable from Modem to PC - it doesn't work at all but when I plug the Ethernet from Router to PC it works, but at a much slower speed ~100 mbits (Router is pretty cheap one so that's probably why, my speed is ~300 Mbits). How do I fix this weird issue? When I plug in my laptop it works either way - with modem and with router. Maybe I should try a different cable? (but I used the cable on laptop and it worked).

Router model please.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Router model please.

Firmware Version:
Hardware Version:
WR841N v8 00000000

If your laptop is working fine then the issue is with your PC. I think it might be your drivers so download the latest drivers for your motherboard and if that doesn't work there might be a problem with your network card on your PC.

But I remember when I had my old PC, it had the exact same issue. It's with all PCs and I still have the problem with my Smart TV.

Firmware Version:

Hardware Version:
WR841N v8 00000000

--86'd---

You need to connect the modem to the blue(WAN) port on the router and plug the PC into any of the yellow ports then restart your modem and network adapter...should work.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Hmm, I actually switched router and pc cables around and it seems to work. Now I can enjoy speed http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4473058610

Firmware Version:

Hardware Version:
WR841N v8 00000000

But I remember when I had my old PC, it had the exact same issue. It's with all PCs and I still have the problem with my Smart TV.

I want to point out as well that your router only has 100Mb ports on it, so anything that does through the router in any way cannot get more than that speed from the internet - the connection between the router and the modem is a bottleneck.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I want to point out as well that your router only has 100Mb ports on it, so anything that does through the router in any way cannot get more than that speed from the internet - the connection between the router and the modem is a bottleneck.

I know that it's bottlenecking my Wi-Fi but I don't use router to connect to PC. I go straight from modem and then I get full 250+ mbits. For Wi-Fi I don't really have devices that need higehr speeds.

I know that it's bottlenecking my Wi-Fi but I don't use router to connect to PC. I go straight from modem and then I get full 250+ mbits. For Wi-Fi I don't really have devices that need higehr speeds.

No, the wired only is 100Mbps. http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR841N.html#specifications So no matter what you do, your connection to the internet will always be at max 100Mbps. Wired, wireless, anything. 

Get a new router with gigabit ports. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

No, the wired only is 100Mbps. http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR841N.html#specifications So no matter what you do, your connection to the internet will always be at max 100Mbps. Wired, wireless, anything.

Get a new router with gigabit ports.

No, you don't understand. I don't plug in my PC to the router, only to my modem. Look on the posts above, now I get proper 250+ speed. My PC is not connected with router in any way and now it works.

Does the modem have multiple ethernet ports? If not, I'm not sure how you are connecting the router and the PC at teh same time. or are you swapping which is connected to the router?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

No, you don't understand. I don't plug in my PC to the router, only to my modem. Look on the posts above, now I get proper 250+ speed. My PC is not connected with router in any way and now it works.

Great to hear, mark the thread as solved so more people don't try helping you fix your problem.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200