r9 fury x power supply

alme55
Go to solution Solved by Curufinwe_wins,

did you find a spec sheet or review saying it would be fine with 40amps on a 12v rail? not that i don't trust you as a user, just that the store i am buying it at does not have a return policy after opening the product, and i don't want to have to go out and get a new case and psu if it doesn't.

40 Amps on a 12V rail is 480 W btw. The Fury x needs about 250-300 W and the rest of your system (assuming not running stupid amd cpu) should consume about 150-200 W. 

You might be ok. You might not. Personally I wouldnt risk it considering you have basically 0 headroom. 550 W would be a bit better, but personally I'd recommend 650W as a min.

so i am looking to buy a new gpu to put in my evga hadron air case, anyone know if the fury x can work on a 500w gold 40a psu? i have been searching through amd's site and the only thing i can find on the card from them is a bunch of marketing bull. I saw where reviewers said on stock it didn't go over 400w's but idk if the amps on a 12v rail is over 40.

A 500W power supply should be just fine.

did you find a spec sheet or review saying it would be fine with 40amps on a 12v rail? not that i don't trust you as a user, just that the store i am buying it at does not have a return policy after opening the product, and i don't want to have to go out and get a new case and psu if it doesn't.

40 Amps on a 12V rail is 480 W btw. The Fury x needs about 250-300 W and the rest of your system (assuming not running stupid amd cpu) should consume about 150-200 W. 

You might be ok. You might not. Personally I wouldnt risk it considering you have basically 0 headroom. 550 W would be a bit better, but personally I'd recommend 650W as a min.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

No, but it takes the same amount of a power as a 290/X, which I've run on a 550W before without an issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Intel CPUs back in 2011 weren't much better >_>

I agree with you on the PSU though. 550-650w will give headroom yet won't be too overkill :P

No, but it takes the same amount of a power as a 290/X, which I've run on a 550W before without an issue.

damn, i had a r9 290 reference in there before and it wasn't enough, i would get blue screens and shut downs was hoping th fury x was lower, alright nvm, thanks guy, i will probably get a 980 or 980 ti then

also forgot to put, cpu is a 4790k, 8gb ram 2 4tb hdd's and 2 ssd's

damn, i had a r9 290 reference in there before and it wasn't enough, i would get blue screens and shut downs was hoping th fury x was lower, alright nvm, thanks guy, i will probably get a 980 or 980 ti then

980 ti is basically the same tdp...

Seriously if you are going to spend 650 dollars on a graphics card buy a better psu...

A 650 W psu would cost max 50 usd.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Intel CPUs back in 2011 weren't much better >_>

I agree with you on the PSU though. 550-650w will give headroom yet won't be too overkill :P

No they were not much better. But I didn't call amd cpus stupid 4 years ago. I called them stupid now.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

980 Ti is about the same amount of power as the 290/X or Fury. 980 is less power but only somewhat better performance than a 290.

An overloaded power supply won't cause blue screens, if your power supply overloads you will lose all power without warning.

damn, I thought i would have been able to fit something more powerful in this case, seems like i am stuck with a lower end gpu for now then as the psu is built in. thanks for the help guys much appreciated.

damn, I thought i would have been able to fit something more powerful in this case, seems like i am stuck with a lower end gpu for now then as the psu is built in. thanks for the help guys much appreciated.

You could go always go with a 970, it's pretty kick ass.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

You could go always go with a 970, it's pretty kick ass.

it is, this is my media pc though, so i was hoping to play on my 4k tv in my living room, but ya, i will just have to get a 970 and just set my tv to 1080p 120hz instead.