Trucker Seats as Gaming/Office Chairs?

First time posting, and I'm in the market for a new computer/office chair. I've seen a ton of videos showing "car racing" chairs being converted into office chairs catering to the "gaming" community...but I just don't think they're super comfortable. The seats made for trucks (i.e. semi-trucks, lorries, big-rigs, etc.) on the other hand are meant for maximum comfort and support during "long-haul" type sessions, especially the really nice ones that new trucks come with. So has anyone seen or heard of a trucker's seat being repurposed as an office chair?

I don't really think I want such a monstrosity infront of my desk but, somebody needs to do it.

post-239184-0-61870200-1435554999_thumb.

First time posting, and I'm in the market for a new computer/office chair. I've seen a ton of videos showing "car racing" chairs being converted into office chairs catering to the "gaming" community...but I just don't think they're super comfortable. The seats made for trucks (i.e. semi-trucks, lorries, big-rigs, etc.) on the other hand are meant for maximum comfort and support during "long-haul" type sessions, especially the really nice ones that new trucks come with. So has anyone seen or heard of a trucker's seat being repurposed as an office chair?

I don't really think I want such a monstrosity infront of my desk but, somebody needs to do it.

This. This needs to Has to, be done,

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 XX Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer XX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory XX GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II XX Case: Phanteks Evolve ATX XX Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB SSD ; Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD; Western Digital Caviar Blue 3TB HDD XX PSU: Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze 

Nope. That is a good idea, however at that point you might as well just stick wheels on a small lazy boy :P

Haha, was kinda thinking the same thing...but why are they using "racing" style seats? I mean, those were meant to be ultra-light weight, and to hold a driver in place during high speed manuvers... I don't need a computer chair that hugs my sides during high g-force turns and compromises comfort for being light weight. I want a good chair that is comfortable, adjustable, durable and reasonably stylish.  

Haha, was kinda thinking the same thing...but why are they using "racing" style seats? I mean, those were meant to be ultra-light weight, and to hold a driver in place during high speed manuvers... I don't need a computer chair that hugs my sides during high g-force turns and compromises comfort for being light weight. I want a good chair that is comfortable, adjustable, durable and reasonably stylish.  

Because it "looks good". Andddd that's about it. :P

I think the problem with this are the following: weight, cost. Probably you can get the best office ergo-seat for the price of ghetto-rigging one of these. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

• 2 years later...

Kinda late reply to this but hey, maybe someone might be able to help me. So I was thinking about using an old vw golf mk3 drivers seat(had one laying around) and transforming it into the office chair by attaching it to the legs of an office chair. But then same idea hit me too: to use a trucks seat. The seat in the post is drivers seat and it uses compressed air to cushion it on the road similar as to what shock absorber do to the vehicle, so the air suspension wouldn't work if you used it for office chair, then the electronics for adjustment wouldn't work too unless you connected it to i think 24V. So i found a passengers seat which isn't super fancy, it doesn't have air suspension, nor the armrests but that can be added later on if the project succeeds :D The thing I'm struggling right now is how to determine where is the center of gravity of the chair so that it could still be used to lay back and stuff. If anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate them! thanks :)

I love the idea of this; Any idea where to buy one?

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

no idea about buying it but i made it today myself. figured out where to mount the chair legs to. if you are handy have some tools you could try to make it yourself too. try to look for places that sell old truck seats that have some damage for example plastics are cracked or the seats have burn holes from cigarettes. shouldnt cost too much. if you need any help on how to connect the legs to the seat lemme know ill help in any way i can :)

2 hours ago, TheBadOdor said:

no idea about buying it but i made it today myself. figured out where to mount the chair legs to. if you are handy have some tools you could try to make it yourself too. try to look for places that sell old truck seats that have some damage for example plastics are cracked or the seats have burn holes from cigarettes. shouldnt cost too much. if you need any help on how to connect the legs to the seat lemme know ill help in any way i can :)

Where is a good place to find some of those old seats youre talking about? I'm currently on vacation and painfully slow internet has made finding one myself a real chore.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

15 hours ago, GloriousPain said:

Where is a good place to find some of those old seats youre talking about? I'm currently on vacation and painfully slow internet has made finding one myself a real chore.

well it depends on where you live. try searching for some salvaged truck yards in your area, take a set of tools and head to the yard, find a seat that you like, take it out and buy it. probably the cheapest way to get it...