Weird problem with frame rates in games

wizardofzak
Go to solution Solved by Ketcchup,

Can you download CPU-Z and tell what is your CPU frequency and voltage when playing? Those low CPU temps suggest low frequencies due to VRM throttling

Your motherboard has a 3+2 VRM setup without heatsink on them, so they're probably overheating and unable to feed the 8350's 125W

Hi LTT fans,

So ive had this system for a little while now:

AMD FX 8350 @ 4ghz

GTX 970

WD Blue 1tb drive

Recently I upgraded to 8gb of hyperx fury at 1600 mhz.

Ive had weird issues where i would play a game and it would be running at around 30fps, and my resource usage would be very low.

It usually starts when i launch gta online, then i quit and restart, same problem. Shut down pc, same problem, launch another game, same problem ect.

However if i leave my computer for a while the problem stops and i can play normally. It also causes problems in some games where the frame rate would tank for about 5 seconds then recover.

Could this be due to faulty ram? I would test with my old ram, however my dog is sleeping by my pc and i dont want to disturb him and also i dont know how to cause the low fps.

Will try to replace the ram over the next 24 hours and then update the thread.

Thanks in advance!

--Update #1--

It just happened when i tried to play arkham knight

However if i leave my computer for a while the problem stops and i can play normally. It also causes problems in some games where the frame rate would tank for about 5 seconds then recover.

Sounds like temperatures. Check task manager for some unusual load, too.

It just happened when i tried to play arkham knight

That port is complete shit lol, even people with enthusiast PCs get problems.

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

arkham knight doesn't work for anyone, it was removed from steam.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/24/8842447/sales-of-batman-arkham-knight-pc-version-to-be-suspended

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Thought it was temperatures as well but theyre 80 degrees celcius :/

Thought it was temperatures as well but theyre 80 degrees celcius :/

Well, 80º for CPU idling or not it's really high, it's probably throttling.

What cooler do you have? You should start buying a Cooler Master 212 for example.

Also, what motherboard do you have, too? another option is overheating VRMs

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

Sorry i meant 80 degrees on gpu, usually 50 degrees on cpu. I have a 212 and my mobo is the asus m5a 78l-m

Can you download CPU-Z and tell what is your CPU frequency and voltage when playing? Those low CPU temps suggest low frequencies due to VRM throttling

Your motherboard has a 3+2 VRM setup without heatsink on them, so they're probably overheating and unable to feed the 8350's 125W

hmm okay weird observation: i had my ram running at 1867 mhz in the bios, however task manager said it was running at 1600 mhz. Anyway i just changed  the frequency in the bios to 1600mhz, and now task manager reads 667 mhz. Loaded up gta v and it runs absolutely fine.....So maybe its my shitty mobo?

Thank you for your help, ive figured out that this is a problem with my budget motherboard, rather than my ram.

Thread is now solved