Looking to buy a secure router

I've recently been researching on a way to prevent potential security threats from entering my home network (such as viruses hanging out in my routers firmware), and found that many home network routers are not made with very secure firmware. I'm looking to buy a new router, and would like to get a router that is very secure, but also doesn't cost much more than $200 (preferably cheaper). Are there ANY home network routers that have at least decent security, that will keep my devices relatively safe, or should I go for a business router?

Also just a side note, I don't need a router with a tremendous amount of range, my house is fairly small, if you have any recommendations please let me know! Thanks!

• 3 months later...

How many ports do you want?

How many WiFi devices?

How much bandwidth do you get?

If you're really concerned about security threats, why not invest in a firewall?  

-snip-

Well I would suggest Mikrotik, but those devices require a decent amount of knowledge and a lot of work, however if they are properly setup, they are secure. Another product you can look in is Cisco RV series, those are Small-Business class firewalls and they perform very well.

As for the TP-Link, Asus, D-Link, etc.. consumer products, not really sure they provide any "real" security and even if they do, those are mainstream devices prone to attacks.

Well I would suggest Mikrotik, but those devices require a decent amount of knowledge and a lot of work, however if they are properly setup, they are secure. Another product you can look in is Cisco RV series, those are Small-Business class firewalls and they perform very well.

As for the TP-Link, Asus, D-Link, etc.. consumer products, not really sure they provide any "real" security and even if they do, those are mainstream devices prone to attacks.

This ^^

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

If security is important, then any enterprise routers are fine. I would go for the EdgeRouter Lite.

I've recently been researching on a way to prevent potential security threats from entering my home network (such as viruses hanging out in my routers firmware), and found that many home network routers are not made with very secure firmware. I'm looking to buy a new router, and would like to get a router that is very secure, but also doesn't cost much more than $200 (preferably cheaper). Are there ANY home network routers that have at least decent security, that will keep my devices relatively safe, or should I go for a business router?

Also just a side note, I don't need a router with a tremendous amount of range, my house is fairly small, if you have any recommendations please let me know! Thanks!

I would go for the cisco 1841 router, one downside is that there is the command line interface to configure the router.

I would go for the cisco 1841 router, one downside is that there is the command line interface to configure the router.

Got a 2811 personally. 

However do note this isnt really targeted for consumers. They are loud and you pretty much need a network cabinet. 

My recommendation is look into Mikrotik. Can do a lot on it. Can just google basic firewall rules and edit where needed. 

Dream on little dreamer.