CPU fan works intermitantly

soup

Booting the machine, my CPU fan(s either side of a Noctua NH-U12) start revolving but once Windows starts the fans stop revolving.  So under UEFI CPU fans OK but under Windows they stop.  Does Windows (8.1) have some sort of fan control or is there something far wrong?

Even stranger the fans don't seem to be exhibiting this behaviour now , :huh: , never downloaded any new software or made any changes to the system.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

you might have a BIOS that only turns fans on as and when needed

That's what I thought at first but system didn't used to do this (and the fan curve is set at 55% at 0-30° up to 100% at 70° in the UEFI )  and I got a warning (well several actually) that CPU fan was running at 0rpm, then another warning that the CPU was at 70 something degrees.  Had the side off, and found that  'flicking' the fan blades when in Windows would start them revolving. 

As I said it's not doing it just now so I suppose I will keep an eye on it for a couple of days then, hopefuly, within a shortish while I will forget this ever happened

"This too shall pass"

will they run at startup when placed on a system fan header? if they do, try clearing the cmos, windows doesn't have this feature but BIOS likely could

What do you mean by startup?  They run fine under the UEFI it is only when I go into Windows that they stopped.

"This too shall pass"

What do you mean by startup?  They run fine under the UEFI it is only when I go into Windows that they stopped.

Have you installed/run Fan Xpert? Because any software control software will override BIOS settings. And this really sound like it. AFAIK windows doesn't have any such thing by default. And to continue, have you since run heavy tasks which would raise fan speeds?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Have you installed/run Fan Xpert? Because any software control software will override BIOS settings. And this really sound like it. AFAIK windows doesn't have any such thing by default. And to continue, have you since run heavy tasks which would raise fan speeds?

No fancontrol software on Windows.

Have gone back to default settings in the UEFI (no more O/C).

A bit of folding but I was doing that before and it wasn't exhibiting this behaviour. 

Anyway academic now as the 'problem' seems to have righted itself,rest assured if it happens again I will be back here screaming "it's doing it again".

"This too shall pass"