Liquid cool a 4690k or stock cool a 4790k?

Okay so I have a dilemma, I have a very tight budget and I can either get an i5 4690k with a NZXT kraken x31 or an 4790k with an awesome stock cooler!

which would be better?

Thanks in advance.

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte GTX 980 G1, Kingston Hyper X fury 16GB, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Cooler Master Hyper 212x, NZXT Noctis 450, Samsung 850 EVO 128GB + WD caviar blue 1TB, EVGA 750W G2. 

4790k doesn't give much performance for gaming. If all you do is game get the 4690k and OC the shit outta it

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Get 4790k, save money and get better cooler later

Finally got PS4 Pro

4790k doesn't give much performance for gaming. If all you do is game get the 4690k and OC the shit outta it

Oh yeah I should of mentioned I'll be doing quite a lot of video editing eg. premiere after effects and such

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte GTX 980 G1, Kingston Hyper X fury 16GB, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Cooler Master Hyper 212x, NZXT Noctis 450, Samsung 850 EVO 128GB + WD caviar blue 1TB, EVGA 750W G2. 

For video rendering a water cooler helps a lot.

But on the flip-side I hear hyper threading helps for rendering too.

I would compromise. Get the 4790k and get a better cooler later. Surely you can wait 1 week to afford a AIO water cooling kit. 

although.... for video rendering a 5820k will dominate a 4790k. If you live near a micro center I would get a 5820k with a X99-UD4 bundle. 

Oh yeah I should of mentioned I'll be doing quite a lot of video editing eg. premiere after effects and such

4790k no doubt then.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

4790k no doubt then.

I just stuck a H801 GT on a4960 non K. and it basically sits on 3.9ghz turbo the whole time at 31 degrees goes up to 41 under full load using intel  graphics on it as well. so if u turn off the GFX the temp will go even lower 

4690K and OC it to hell.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

4790k+212 EVO is about equal in price to a i5-4690k+kraken x31

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

My 4690k @ 4.6Ghz performs the same as a 4790k @ stock on cinebench.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

I just built a rig based off the 4690k and my mate just build a very similar rig based off the 4790k and in real world applications there is next to no difference in gaming, video editing and general work.

Now i must state that the level of video editing we do is rather moderate for a home user but is nowhere near comparable to the level of a professional grade editing station. Put a few videos in an edit, cut / edit, whack a few transitions and effect and export is not classified as hard core video editing.

I highly suggest doing some personal research, look at bench marking with applications you are familiar with and make an educated decision based that. Yes still take what people say here as some good advise but we only have a small extract of how you will be using your computer.

I would like to see a blind test done on 2x identical rigs  but these 2x CPU's and i reckon most people would have trouble spotting the difference unless you put it under specific loads which utilize the additional features of the i7.

Regardless of what you choose, both those CPU's are absolutely wikid and i'd highly rate either of them to anyone building a rig, good luck with the choice and at the end of the day its your PC not ours so the final choice should be yours.

just my 2c

I just built a rig based off the 4690k and my mate just build a very similar rig based off the 4790k and in real world applications there is next to no difference in gaming, video editing and general work.

Now i must state that the level of video editing we do is rather moderate for a home user but is nowhere near comparable to the level of a professional grade editing station. Put a few videos in an edit, cut / edit, whack a few transitions and effect and export is not classified as hard core video editing.

I highly suggest doing some personal research, look at bench marking with applications you are familiar with and make an educated decision based that. Yes still take what people say here as some good advise but we only have a small extract of how you will be using your computer.

I would like to see a blind test done on 2x identical rigs  but these 2x CPU's and i reckon most people would have trouble spotting the difference unless you put it under specific loads which utilize the additional features of the i7.

Regardless of what you choose, both those CPU's are absolutely wikid and i'd highly rate either of them to anyone building a rig, good luck with the choice and at the end of the day its your PC not ours so the final choice should be yours.

just my 2c

Well said, I think I'll poke around in some benchmarks and some real world render tests if I can find some. Also I will probably be doing some intense 3D stuff so their could be a larger difference there.