wishing for your inputs

Hi guys,,

This thing has been bothering me for quite some time now,, I've been thinking of adding a 240mm rad on my build,, but I really don't want to change my tubing run, but my r9-290 is maxing @65 degrees when gaming,, now my question is,,,

will there be a big difference in adding that 240 rad and sacrificing the clean run will be worth it?

any ideas on how much of a difference there would be..

thanks in advance guys...

post-8869-0-64063300-1434987719_thumb.jp

Hi guys,,

This thing has been bothering me for quite some time now,, I've been thinking of adding a 240mm rad on my build,, but I really don't want to change my tubing run, but my r9-290 is maxing @65 degrees when gaming,, now my question is,,,

will there be a big difference in adding that 240 rad and sacrificing the clean run will be worth it?

pretty, but why sacrifice the clean run? I'm guessing fluid drops out of your res direct to a pump? could you route to the new rad (I'm guessing front mount, but it doesn't really matter) after that, and then back into your existing loop?

First of all what is the gpu waterblock you are using?

You might be getting limited by the block performance itself.

From the looks of it you are using Alphacool NexXxos Monsta, that radiator likes a high static pressure high rpm fans like gentle typhoons ap15.

Also what pump are you using? You should at least get 1GPM flow rate so you get decent performance.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Damn, that is a clean look man. Nice freaking bends.

Honestly, I wouldn't. The aesthetic you have going is absolutely beautiful, and your temps aren't high. There won't be a performance difference between 65C and 40C, except maybe a smidge higher overclock? Just not worth it IMO.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

is the card thermal throttling? If it isn't I would just leave it, there isn't a performance difference at 60C vs 50C or lower

Very nice runs!

If you feel the need to add the Rad then do it, but 65C isnt bad!

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

First of all what is the gpu waterblock you are using?

You might be getting limited by the block performance itself.

From the looks of it you are using Alphacool NexXxos Monsta, that radiator likes a high static pressure high rpm fans like gentle typhoons ap15.

Also what pump are you using? You should at least get 1GPM flow rate so you get decent performance.

I am using a EK dcp 4.0 and an EK xtx 360

Id say Pass on the Rad before you can be assured that the lack of a an Additional Rad Is the reason for the high temps 

if you were stress the GPU do you see CPU temp Rise (using something like Aida) above whats to be expected? (2-3c)  this means flow is not high enough and you need to raise it

what is your coolant temp? if your Coolant is warming up too close to your GPU temp it wont be able to remove heat and you do indeed have a shortage of radiator surface area

test it out, Ramp fans to max, put the pump at setting 3-4 (vario-d5) and Load her up.. GPU temp still the same? then you have an issue with Block performance. temps 5-6c Lower? 

you can use another Rad. 

that Thick ass EK Rad is what 8 FPI? (fins per Inch) you could get more surface area going with a 16-25 FPI  one and to the looks of it, you'd only have to have one Pipe re fitted. 

is the card thermal throttling? If it isn't I would just leave it, there isn't a performance difference at 60C vs 50C or lower

hi,, the card is not throttling at all,, maybe I was expecting a lot lower temp on the cpu and gpu when i decided to buy the 360 rad, but what i really was thinking if i could get it any lower

Id say Pass on the Rad before you can be assured that the lack of a an Additional Rad Is the reason for the high temps 

if you were stress the GPU do you see CPU temp Rise (using something like Aida) above whats to be expected? (2-3c)  this means flow is not high enough and you need to raise it

what is your coolant temp? if your Coolant is warming up too close to your GPU temp it wont be able to remove heat and you do indeed have a shortage of radiator surface area

test it out, Ramp fans to max, put the pump at setting 3-4 (vario-d5) and Load her up.. GPU temp still the same? then you have an issue with Block performance. temps 5-6c Lower? 

you can use another Rad. 

that Thick ass EK Rad is what 8 FPI? (fins per Inch) you could get more surface area going with a 16FPI and keeping the rad. to the looks of it, you'd only have to have one Pipe re fitted. 

@ idle the gpu will be at around 36 degrees and the cpu would be at 29 degree ish,, when i ran furmark or unigine ,, i could get the gpu at 65 degrees but the cpu temp will hover around 37 to 45 degrees,, all fans @ 1200 rpm and the pump running on 12 volts,, EK dcp 4.0

i think the EK xtx 360 is about 11 fins per inch

hi,, the card is not throttling at all,, maybe I was expecting a lot lower temp on the cpu and gpu when i decided to buy the 360 rad, but what i really was thinking if i could get it any lower

You can get it lower, but it depends on your priorities, looks vs temps/noise. 

@ idle the gpu will be at around 36 degrees and the cpu would be at 29 degree ish,, when i ran furmark or unigine ,, i could get the gpu at 65 degrees but the cpu temp will hover around 37 to 45 degrees,, all fans @ 1200 rpm and the pump running on 12 volts,, EK dcp 4.0

i think the EK xtx 360 is about 11 fins per inch

now im not too Up and up on AMD GPU temps but your CPU temps look about right. Perhaps there is a seating issue with the GPU? or like others have said this could be an issue with the block perhaps pull out the manual? and see if its a 1 way Directional Flow block? I Know some EK blocks are one way Flow.

Hi guys,,

Firstly, very slick build there. Very nice!!

Whats the room temp when your gaming or what ever? If its in the mid teens to early 20 degrees C, I'd leave it alone. if its higher, then its doing a great job.

Honestly, I would go adjusting the fan curve before adding to a hardline setup.

Just my opinion.

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

Firstly, very slick build there. Very nice!!

Whats the room temp when your gaming or what ever? If its in the mid teens to early 20 degrees C, I'd leave it alone. if its higher, then its doing a great job.

Honestly, I would go adjusting the fan curve before adding to a hardline setup.

Just my opinion.

thanks max,, ambient is about 23 or 24 degrees C, I'm using the included fan controller of the arc mini, most of the times its @ 7 volts,, but when I"m gaming I set it to volts which puts the fractal designs fans to 1200 rpm