Idea's for modding the Phantom 410 side panel.

BikerMat

For a while now I've been wanting a full window side panel for my phantom 410, and there are seemingly no outright buyable ones (I'd rather not have to send my side panel elsewhere to get it done, and the other options I'd found came with a new case entirely). And modding mine seems, if risky, fairly simple.

Here is the result I'd be looking for: Thingy

I'm thinking of removing the current window, and drilling (Dremelling?) from the far right top corner of that, down to be inline with the bottom of the fan grill, across to the bottom left corner of the grill and and up. Then filling the edge down (Rectangle shape), hopefully without it being too rough (Hence the spraypaint around the edge of the window, to cover any rough bits, and look neat). And taking two pieces of acrylic, one either side of the panel, drilling a few holes and bolting it on

Can't be too hard can it? Well.. I'm a complete noob with tools so yeah, probably. Any advice for a newbie, and where in the Uk I could get what I need? Acrylic, bolts, acrylic paint etc. I'll likely find all the tools I'll need in my dad's shed.

If I follow through with this then I'll also be changing all the fans to SP120s & 140s and getting an NZXT Hue. I've considered also trying to spray paint the trim or mesh on the case to match the lighting, and making a stencil painting near the bottom of the window.

For large, fairly simple cuts you need to make with this mod, it's much easier and much more efficient to use a jig saw, rather than a dremel. Dremels are great for cutting small, intricate cuts, but you will find yourself losing a lot of time replacing discs.

For large, fairly simple cuts you need to make with this mod, it's much easier and much more efficient to use a jig saw, rather than a dremel. Dremels are great for cutting small, intricate cuts, but you will find yourself losing a lot of time replacing discs.

I wouldn't say intricate as they cut very messily.

I wouldn't say intricate as they cut very messily.

If you know how to use it, it can cut very intricate curves and lines. You just need to learn how to use it. That's why there are a lot of woodworkers out there using dremels to carve out amazing designs out of wood. It doesn't matter anyway, for this kind of project a drill and a jigsaw is pretty much all you need.

A good file as well as you cut to the edge of the line then file the rest and finish with sandpaper to finish off before painting.

Thanks for the replies, this looks to be going ahead now with the only problem being that my dad does in-fact not own a dremmel. And I've rethought how I'd make the window, still the same size but I'll be putting U-channel around the edge of the cutout, and a perspex piece on the inside attached with glue or heavy duty double sided tape.

I'll be painting the top and front meshes and for the stencil drawing on the window, I simply want the word "Phantom" in a nice blocky / impacty font in the corner. I'll get into Paint.net and try figuring that out somehow. Also, I'll do a build log post for those interested in seeing it, showing how I've made the window, painted the meshes and with the new SP120's,140's, NZXT Hue and possibly a H100i.

Mat.

EDIT: Front mesh, not bottom :/

Like I said, for big jobs like this, a jig saw would be more efficient. So, you won't need a Dremel.