Reference 680 vs Non-Reference 680

VitalSyntax

I'm using a Corsair 550D chassis so my airflow is very restricted, I have 2 120mm front intake fans, 1 120mm bottom intake fan and 1 120mm rear exhaust fan. Seeing as a reference 680 would exhaust the air directly out of the case would it be a better option than a non-reference card? I would rather get a Asus Direct CII card because it would be quieter, but I'm worried it may have heat issues since my case doesn't have good airflow.

If you want watercooling in the future I would go with a Refernece. If you're just air cooling then get a non-reference for better temps

There shouldn't be a issue with airflow in your case and the DCII does a great job at cooling down a 680.

Get the DCII if you have the money, stock coolers are really noisy when compared to a aftermarket cooler. I think your case has enough ventilation judging from your statement. You could throw in a couple more fans if you are not happy with the cooling performance.

I found the EVGA 680 had great air cooling with relative low noise. Only fan i can hear when running average games is the mobo SB fan lol.

If you use a non-reference card, the card will probably give you better cooling. I think the EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2 features a 2 fan heatsink which exhausts the air out of the case.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Reference 680's get ridiculously hot , I personally know someone with a 650D that sold his 680 reference because it would get over 90c under load.

Ironically he got a 7970 lightning instead (which is a slightly hotter chip), says it stays in the 70s under load.

But because the cooling on it was much better it stayed within decent thermal levels.

So lesson = don't get reference design cards.

Get a gigabyte windforce 3x or an MSI twinfrozr .

I personally think a reference card would be better in the case of being a cramped place with poor airflow. You wouldn't want to throw hot air into the case warming it when it does not have adequate airflow. Reference cards or cards with a heat shroud would throw air out of the back rather than in the case.