Gtx 980 Ti - temp question.

sew999

Hello.  Last days i bought reference Gigabyte Gtx 980 Ti. But i have a question about temps. After playing Witcher 3 max load temps is 85C. Is this normal?
Overall performance is excellent , almost of entire game i have 60+ with ultra details even with Hairworks. Sometimes drop to 40 fps but its in one place in game only.

The max temp is in the 90s, but you could just turn up your fans a little...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

But can i play with 85C is this safe?

The 980 reaches it during benchmarks. Whether it's safe or not is up in the air. However, if you want to keep the GPU cooler, change the fan curve or just set an explicit speed for it to run at constantly.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's ok, but personally I wouldn't let it run that high. I keep mine in the 58-67c range. To keep great cooling to quiet ratio

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I got my 980 Ti last night - it's a reference MSi model, and played The Witcher 3 for a couple of hours. At the end of my session I tabbed out to HWMonitor (I keep it running in the background to monitor overall system temps) and it had maxed out at 66c.

Bear in mind I went straight for an overclock after installing it - using MSi Afterburner mine was at +151 base clock, no voltage or memory increase. So you need to be looking to adjust down your 85c temps if you haven't OC your card.

What I suspect is you're using the default fan profile which is rubbish for temps - download Afterburner if you don't already have it and create a custom fan profile with a more aggressive fan curve.

85 is fine, if it makes you unconfortable use msi afterburner to make a steeper fan curve.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

GUys Far Cry 4 performance is lovely with all candies + TXAA 2x :). Of course without soft shadows ( they are bugged , turning they on cost 50% of fps down:)

• 10 months later...
On 6/20/2015 at 4:18 PM, CapricaBuccaneers said:

I got my 980 Ti last night - it's a reference MSi model, and played The Witcher 3 for a couple of hours. At the end of my session I tabbed out to HWMonitor (I keep it running in the background to monitor overall system temps) and it had maxed out at 66c.

Bear in mind I went straight for an overclock after installing it - using MSi Afterburner mine was at +151 base clock, no voltage or memory increase. So you need to be looking to adjust down your 85c temps if you haven't OC your card.

What I suspect is you're using the default fan profile which is rubbish for temps - download Afterburner if you don't already have it and create a custom fan profile with a more aggressive fan curve.

Sorry to hijack an old thread, I too have a 980 Ti. How on earth did you keep your temp as low as 66c? Is yours water cooled? I have the stock fan, no OC and even setting MSI afterburner to run at 100% all the time, my card always hits the max 83c  (I have tried various aggressive fan curves it makes absolutely no difference). Brand new PC, brand new case etc so no dust build up as yet.   I have even tried running it with the top and sides off the case (yes I know this makes the inside even hotter, but I wanted to try it), no difference what soever, it always hits 85+ then stabilises at 83c. I also have full control over my case/CPU fans, tried various configurations with them, this also makes no difference.What ever anyone says, 83 - 86c is ridiculous temperatures.

How you maintain such a low temp is beyond me. I would be interested to know.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Location Probably, My ambient temps are usually around 30c So I run much much hotter then everyone I know.