Why is my GPU only using 533MB's of VRAM at max instead of 2GB's?

PCGamesBeLike

My 750 Ti's performance has improved, but for some odd reason it's only topping out at 533MB's of VRAM instead of the full 2GB's it has? Why is that? In all games such as BF4 and GTA IV, the frame rate is awfully low at 720p medium settings because it's only using 533MB's of VRAM.

All drivers are clean installed and latest and no form of VSync is on.

Specs:

i5-2320

Generic Acer Motherboard (which could very well be the issue but I am not confident)

8GB DDR3-1333 (which could also be the issue)

500W Cooler Master PSU

1TB HDD

U WOT M8

That's GTA IV's secret. Its frame rate is always low.

Have you tried games other than BF4 and GTA IV to see if it's consistent throughout GPU intensive games?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

My 750 Ti's performance has improved, but for some odd reason it's only topping out at 533MB's of VRAM instead of the full 2GB's it has? Why is that? In all games such as BF4 and GTA IV, the frame rate is awfully low at 720p medium settings because it's only using 533MB's of VRAM.

All drivers are clean installed and latest and no form of VSync is on.

Specs:

i5-2320

Generic Acer Motherboard (which could very well be the issue but I am not confident)

8GB DDR3-1333 (which could also be the issue)

500W Cooler Master PSU

1TB HDD

this is weird,have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

At 720p I wouldn't expect GPU memory usage to be all that high, although GTA V seems somewhat suspect. It could well just be that the card is being bottlenecked somewhere else. Is the performance in line with what other people are seeing with this card?

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

That's GTA IV's secret. Its frame rate is always low.

Have you tried games other than BF4 and GTA IV to see if it's consistent throughout GPU intensive games?

Not really, but games like F1 Race Stars and NASCAR '15 that should be getting a butter smooth 60fps on my computer, is dipping into the 15-20fps range.

this is weird,have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

Many times, yes.

At 720p I wouldn't expect GPU memory usage to be all that high, although GTA V seems somewhat suspect. It could well just be that the card is being bottlenecked somewhere else. Is the performance in line with what other people are seeing with this card?

No, not at all. Similar people have been getting 60fps on BF4 720p HIGH with an i5-2320 and GTX 750 Ti.

U WOT M8

I would also possible point a finger at your motherboard, cheap crappy motherboard can do wierd things to performance, I remember when I moved my q8300 from a foxconn random thing to an Asus board and my fps doubled.

That doesn't mean to say it definitely is the issue though.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

I would also possible point a finger at your motherboard, cheap crappy motherboard can do wierd things to performance, I remember when I moved my q8300 from a foxconn random thing to an Asus board and my fps doubled.

That doesn't mean to say it definitely is the issue though.

What GPU was backing that q8300 on? I'm pointing towards the MoBo, but I'm trying cheaper options right now.

U WOT M8

Try using a higher resolution and higher settings. Then report. 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Try using a higher resolution and higher settings. Then report. 

BF4- Unplayable at low 1080p (10 or so fps)

GTA IV- Also unplayable at low 1080p.

F1 Race Stars- 20-ish at preset 1080p.

NASCAR '15- Can't start at 1080p.

U WOT M8

Try Bf4 on ultra with full AA just to see how much Vram you're using. 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Try Bf4 on ultra with full AA just to see how much Vram you're using. 

It refuses to go over 533, occasionally will tip over though.

U WOT M8

Is the upgrade from PCI-E 2.0 to 3.0 worth it for the extra $25 on the MoBo cost?

U WOT M8

What GPU was backing that q8300 on? I'm pointing towards the MoBo, but I'm trying cheaper options right now.

I think it was a 560 ti.

System specs

Peripherals

Is the upgrade from PCI-E 2.0 to 3.0 worth it for the extra $25 on the MoBo cost?

Doesn't make a difference, but most motherboards are 3.0 anyway.

System specs

Peripherals

You will still only get pcie 2.0 on a z75 motherboard as the sandy bridge chips only support pcie 2.0 (the ivy bridge chips make use of pcie 3.0). That said pcie 2.0 won't bottleneck a 750ti anyway. It's probably the oem motherboard causing the issues, maybe have a poke around in the bios (if you know what you're doing in there) before getting a new board, there may be a setting or 2 causing the issue. Oem bios's can be pretty locked down though.

My 750 Ti's performance has improved, but for some odd reason it's only topping out at 533MB's of VRAM instead of the full 2GB's it has? Why is that?

VRAM is a capacity—games will only fill as much of it as they need. It's not really normal to see your VRAM filled to the brim in every game.

You're only playing at 720p, that means fewer pixels and significantly less data than is needed at 1080p, 1440p, or 4K. Some in-game video settings can also reduce VRAM demands.

there is either something wrong with you 750 ti or somehing, because i have an 860m and i can run 1080p in battlefield 4 in a mix of high and ultra settings and get near 60 fps

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

there is either something wrong with you 750 ti or somehing, because i have an 860m and i can run 1080p in battlefield 4 in a mix of high and ultra settings and get near 60 fps

I've had two 750 Ti's doing this, so this is definitely not a card issue.

U WOT M8

Could be the motherboard/PCI-E slot, but I'd still rather blame drivers.

Are you doing a clean uninstall with Display Driver Uninstaller from safe mode and then installing the new driver?

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I've had two 750 Ti's doing this, so this is definitely not a card issue.

there must be somethin else wrong in the system then possibly with motherboard

Just saying that if I can run most of those listed games on an oc'd 660m and a comparable cpu at 1080p (min settings ofc not good fps but playable) then there is something else really messed up. Mobo is my first guess.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Could be the motherboard/PCI-E slot, but I'd still rather blame drivers.

Are you doing a clean uninstall with Display Driver Uninstaller from safe mode and then installing the new driver?

Yes.

U WOT M8

VRAM is a capacity—games will only fill as much of it as they need. It's not really normal to see your VRAM filled to the brim in every game.

You're only playing at 720p, that means fewer pixels and significantly less data than is needed at 1080p, 1440p, or 4K. Some in-game video settings can also reduce VRAM demands.

He said he also tried bf4 on 1080p ultra and it still didn't go above 500 mb (which it definitely does on my rig).

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W