Help picking out a psu?

ItsSoWonderful
Go to solution Solved by cheeze_tartz,

That PSU is perfect. I'm using that in my upcoming mini-ITX build (i'm using the 550w version though). What's cool is that that PSU has an "eco" mode button that turns off the PSU fan when its not on load. It will be good for SLI btw

So I'm going to be working on my first build in a few weeks, but I'm a little lost on the power supply.

Heres my part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ItsSoWonderful/saved/PnY2FT

I have 1 970 in there now, but Im actually planning to add a second one for sli a couple of months down the road, and I plan on overclocking the system, so how many watts do I actually need? I tried researching but I keep on getting different answers. Some say that 650 watts is fine but others say that I need at least 750 and then the online wattage calculators say I need like 500. So what do I actually need? Suggestions would be really appreciated.

That PSU is perfect. I'm using that in my upcoming mini-ITX build (i'm using the 550w version though). What's cool is that that PSU has an "eco" mode button that turns off the PSU fan when its not on load. It will be good for SLI btw

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Main Rig: i7-4790K | Corsair H100i | Asus Z97 | 16GB Ripjaws | 4TB WD Black/512GB SSD | x2 R9 290x | NZXT H440 | HX1000i | 6 Noctuas   [spoiler=SILENT BUILD] Silent build: i5-4460, Be Quiet! Pure Rock, Asrock H97, 8GB HyperX, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, MSI GTX 970, Be Quiet! Silent Base 800, EVGA Supernova GS 650w 

AMD CPU's. [spoiler=] thats right m8 get 420 no scoped 

That's a good power supply and it's even rated 9.1 on Johnny Guru, so that's awesome!

I would recommend this one though (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr), it's rated 9.8 on Johnny Guru and it gives you a bigger room for error for when overclocking, since when you add the 2nd GPU and overclock you may need more than 650w.

I really do recommend this one from the bottom of my heart.

So I'm going to be working on my first build in a few weeks, but I'm a little lost on the power supply.

Heres my part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ItsSoWonderful/saved/PnY2FT

I have 1 970 in there now, but Im actually planning to add a second one for sli a couple of months down the road, and I plan on overclocking the system, so how many watts do I actually need? I tried researching but I keep on getting different answers. Some say that 650 watts is fine but others say that I need at least 750 and then the online wattage calculators say I need like 500. So what do I actually need? Suggestions would be really appreciated.

That is a superb PSU and I own the 550W version. I don't buy PSUs unless they are made by Super Flower, Seasonic or Delta and that one is made by Seasonic (good). It's modular and silent. Love it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The Rosewill Hive is a 750W PSU for $90.

It is Very well recommended by a vast majority, a good brand, and will serve you perfectly for SLI in the future.

If possible, consider waiting a bit longer and getting the 980 Ti instead of 970 SLI thanks to the fact it costs the same, (at present, 390X tomorrow) is a single chip, and performs pretty much the same but you can SLI it later down the road.

Also, a 850W EVGA PSU for $90 + shipping

It will support SLI for 980 Ti or 970 with ease whatever you do do.

It appears to have a 5 year warranty and 4/5 eggs of 47 reviews.

(The Rosewill can support 980 Ti SLI but it's pushing it a little bit at 700W, 4/5 eggs at 311 reviews and 3 yr warranty)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Wow ltt forums are the best! Thanks for all the help!

Don't get the Rosewill Hive as it isn't that good. I would stick with the EVGA. If you want a cheaper 750W+ then look at the EVGA B2.