Choosing between Noctua NH-D15S, NH-U12S and NH-U9S ...

Okay so I tried GTA V the other day and noticed that the CPU temperature maxed out around 85-86 C and I thought: Enough of this, time to replace that stock cooler.

I've purchased Noctua fans before and have been really impressed. Currently I'm looking at three CPU coolers wondering which would give me best performance and least amount of problems:

NH-D15S -> http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=112&lng=en

NH-U12S -> http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=63&lng=en

NH-U9S -> http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=105&lng=en

My first post here, so I guess I should post my specs as well:

INTEL CORE I7 4770 3.4GHZ 8MB S-1150

ASUS Z87M-PLUS Z87 S-1150 M-ATX
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE PRO RED 2400MHZ (2X8GB)
GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 660 OC 2GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP
CORSAIR GRAPHITE 600TM BLACK
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB SATA SSD TLC
SATA-600 2.0TB 7200RPM 64MB - SEAGATE BARRACUDA
CORSAIR CX 600W M BRONZE ATX12V 2.3 MODULAR PSU

Because of the M-ATX mobo I want to get a CPU cooler that wont interfer with the PCI-E slot or the RAM slots. And after checking compability on Noctuas website for the three coolers they all seem to be no problem for my Z87M-PLUS. 

Now the question is: Which of the three should I purchase? I'll take all the advice/opinions I can get! 

I should perhaps mention that I'm not planning on overclocking my system at all, ain't nobody got time for that.

Thanks! 

CPU: INTEL CORE I7 4770 3.4GHZ 8MB S-1150 / Motherboard: ASUS Z87M-PLUS Z87 S-1150 M-ATX / RAM: CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE PRO RED 2400MHZ (2X8GB) / GPU: GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 660 OC 2GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP / Case: CORSAIR GRAPHITE 600TM BLACK / Storage: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB SATA SSD TLC / PSU: CORSAIR CX 600W M BRONZE ATX12V 2.3 MODULAR PSU / Cooling: NOCTUA NH-U12S WITH EXTRA NF-F12 / Keyboard: FUNC KB-460 CHERRY MX BLUE / Mouse: LOGITECH G600

Okay so I tried GTA V the other day and noticed that the CPU temperature maxed out around 85-86 C and I thought: Enough of this, time to replace that stock cooler.

I've purchased Noctua fans before and have been really impressed. Currently I'm looking at three CPU coolers wondering which would give me best performance and least amount of problems:

NH-D15S -> http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=112&lng=en

NH-U12S -> http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=63&lng=en

NH-U9S -> http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=105&lng=en

My first post here, so I guess I should post my specs as well:

INTEL CORE I7 4770 3.4GHZ 8MB S-1150

ASUS Z87M-PLUS Z87 S-1150 M-ATX
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE PRO RED 2400MHZ (2X8GB)
GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 660 OC 2GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP
CORSAIR GRAPHITE 600TM BLACK
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB SATA SSD TLC
SATA-600 2.0TB 7200RPM 64MB - SEAGATE BARRACUDA
CORSAIR CX 600W M BRONZE ATX12V 2.3 MODULAR PSU

Because of the M-ATX mobo I want to get a CPU cooler that wont interfer with the PCI-E slot or the RAM slots. And after checking compability on Noctuas webpage for the three coolers they all seem to be no problem for my Z87M-PLUS. 

Now the question is: Which of the three should I purchase? I'll take all the advice/opinions I can get! 

I should perhaps mention that I'm not planning on overclocking my system at all, ain't nobody got time for that.

Thanks! 

The NH-d15 is the best performer out of all of them cause it has a bigger surface area than the other coolers

They are all capible but serve different performance and price points.. pick which suits you.. Personally I'd go for the quietest, or go for a CM hyper 212 if noise isn't an isse.

Snip

Also, follow your topics for notifications.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

by their spec sheets their all pretty much the same (I'd recommend reading a cooler's spec sheet to anyone buying just to get an idea of what they're rated for, and any size issues.)

Consider what you're putting it in, and any height issues, considering it comes with top of the line fans as standard you aren't going to et much of an improvement over their quoted specs.

And as @Dzzope stated, greater surface are will always help as your fans won't have to spin as quickly to cool the cpu.

Edited by slightlyjaded

The more you spend the more surface area the cooler has equaling quieter operation. It is up to your budget.

These are all literally almost the same thing just with a bigger or smaller heatsink/fan

Thanks for your answers!

I'm leaning towards the D15S since I have room for it in my 600T, and its bigger so it will look more bad ass. Too bad it's not available for purchase right now, at least not in Sweden. 

(Tbh: I didn't realise it (D15S) was brand new when I posted this topic)

CPU: INTEL CORE I7 4770 3.4GHZ 8MB S-1150 / Motherboard: ASUS Z87M-PLUS Z87 S-1150 M-ATX / RAM: CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE PRO RED 2400MHZ (2X8GB) / GPU: GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 660 OC 2GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP / Case: CORSAIR GRAPHITE 600TM BLACK / Storage: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB SATA SSD TLC / PSU: CORSAIR CX 600W M BRONZE ATX12V 2.3 MODULAR PSU / Cooling: NOCTUA NH-U12S WITH EXTRA NF-F12 / Keyboard: FUNC KB-460 CHERRY MX BLUE / Mouse: LOGITECH G600

D15S will give you the best performance/noise ratio, but if you don't OC, U12S and U9S will do fine too!