Buying computer stuff outside the US

Greetings everyone. I just joined the forum (yay!) because I have some questions about the export/import process that I'm evaluating in order to get my hands on a 980 Ti (I am one of those guys who built their computer back in 2011/2012, when the GTX 570 was the best graphics card for the money, and it has served perfectly until GTA V, where its VRAM is too small to keep up).

The thing is, here in Spain, this card can't be found for any less than 760€ (around 850 USD), and they have it on newegg for 649 USD, or 578€ (that's a 200€ difference, way more than I really expected at first). So, I've been looking all around trying to find what would the taxes be like, since I ordered a phone two months ago for 350 USD and ended up paying 100€ extra just for taxes. So, does anyone know what would I be charged with for importing a 649USD graphics card?

There's also another option, which is pretty risky, but might work afterall. I'm spending my vacation time on the US, so is it worth it waiting and buying it on the US itself or am I better off just importing it now?

Please give me some advice, I am really lost here. (and excuse me if I've made any mistakes, as you may have already guessed by now, English is not my first language!)

Guille6219

Remember, it's not goodbye, oh no, it's see you later - Jake Roper

BRUH wherever you are you will have be in a very good situation comaring to me I live in Tunisia North Africa and our currency is veeeeery weak due to revolution so gaming stuff became really expesive

It's generally just better to buy it where you are located. Getting stuff shipped internationally, and then paying taxes, inspection and such for it isn't worth it.

And you would also have to deal with a worse customer service experience, since you'd have to either contact the retailer you got it from. Or the vendor you bought. It's more of a pain than it's worth.

If you are buying it outside of EU you will have to pay 20%+ tax I believe. (not sure if it's called tax)

My roommate ordered dust filters for PC case. Order was send from South Africa so he had to pay 20% tax (because it's outside of EU), he also had to pay some fee for making it possible. Also you should pay the taxes within a few days otherwise they would charge you fee for storing it.

Delivery company can do all of this for you, you just pay, but it takes longer.

Or they can write price under 20€ on the package (and hope that they won't find out at customs)  :ph34r:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

Well, in that case, do you guys know where can I calculate the extra money I may have to pay? I forgot to mention that although they have it listed here in Spain, they are out of stock (and  most places haven't had any to begin with), and newegg seems to have some in stock. Any recommendations? I really need to upgrade this 570, if that means bad customer support, I'll take it.

Well, in that case, do you guys know where can I calculate the extra money I may have to pay? I forgot to mention that although they have it listed here in Spain, they are out of stock (and  most places haven't had any to begin with), and newegg seems to have some in stock. Any recommendations? I really need to upgrade this 570, if that means bad customer support, I'll take it.

Try with Amazon, just add it to the cart and it should give you the total amount you would end paying when you go to checkout (including tax and import fees). I use it a lot to compare with local prices. Most of the things I buy are from Amazon, but lately I have been finding better deals or just slightly more expensive here.

CPU: I7 4790k | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ | Case: Corsair Carbide 500R | Storage: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250GB, 2 * 1TB 7200rpm HDD | PSU: EVGA 600b 80 plus bronze | Display(s): Asus PB287Q | Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Operating System: Windows 10 PRO

i would just buy it when you go to the US and bring it back i am unsure how this exactly  works for you but if i were to do the same i would not be charged tax on it coming back to the us where i live they give you a $XXX amount that you can bring back of good that are tax exempt or take it out of the box and say you didn't buy it there? 

Try with Amazon, just add it to the cart and it should give you the total amount you would end paying when you go to checkout (including tax and import fees). I use it a lot to compare with local prices. Most of the things I buy are from Amazon, but lately I have been finding better deals or just slightly more expensive here.

Well Amazon isn't the best place to buy for Mr, I've had quite a few problems with them. But I'll try if that works

i would just buy it when you go to the US and bring it back i am unsure how this exactly works for you but if i were to do the same i would not be charged tax on it coming back to the us where i live they give you a $XXX amount that you can bring back of good that are tax exempt or take it out of the box and say you didn't buy it there?

I'm trying to do this as legally as possible, doing that would be the last option for me. Thanks anyways for the suggestions.

I'm trying to do this as legally as possible, doing that would be the last option for me. Thanks anyways for the suggestions.

Only the last part would be illegal if your country does not have similar rules like the US so i would look into it to see if you can legally. when i go on vacation and i come back home  i can legally bring back $800.00 of anything TAX free per person with you and there are some exceptions that make this limit more but not pertaining to computer parts

Only the last part would be illegal if your country does not have similar rules like the US so i would look into it to see if you can legally. when i go on vacation and i come back home  i can legally bring back $800.00 of anything TAX free per person with you and there are some exceptions that make this limit more but not pertaining to computer parts

Could you please explain me again how is that option supposed to work? I don't understand your first message... Althought it looks good if it works somehow.

Could you please explain me again how is that option supposed to work? I don't understand your first message... Althought it looks good if it works somehow.

When i leave my country and come back you go through customs and have to declare what you bought out of the country and i could declare the 980ti for say $730.00 roughly what it cost with tax in us and they will not tax me on it as it is under the limit of what i can bring back but if i was to buy that plus say another item for 500 my total declared for customs would be 1,230 and i would not be taxed on $ 800.00 of what i claimed as that is my limit on what i can bring back without my country enforcing tax on me i would only pay tax on $430.00. i was just suggesting looking into if your country as a limit as for me if i bought a 980ti in another country i should be able to bring it back tax free as long as that was the only item i brought back but if you are traveling with people the limit of $800.00  is per person so 4 people you can bring back $3,200.00 tax free. there are some items that they have a higher limit and some countries that we are aloud a higher limit as well. That's why many Americans will buy stuff at duty free shops in international airports  which exist for this specific reason to be able to buy stuff tax free. usually its  mostly alcohol and cigarettes as this is huge cost savings to buy without tax cause cigarettes are like $12usd by me and no tax its like $3-4 for a pack