Is it compatible?

Hello guys So I recently upgraded my gpu and psu and I got acorsair cx850m And A gtx 970. So the reason I am here is I want to know if an i7 4790k would be compatible with my motherboard, my motherboard is a msi 970a-g43, ik its not the best motherboard but I would love to hear your feed back. I need to know if its compatible because I have the fx 4300 which is holding my rig back. Please help and please dont be rude! Also If it isnt compatible please tell me which cpu I should get!

No, a 4790K needs an LGA 1150 socket, that board is AM3+

What cpu do you recommend me getting?

You need a new mother board with the LGA 1150 Socket, preferably Z97.

Personally, i recommend Gigabyte boards, the Z97-HD3 is a good budget option.

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

What cpu do you recommend me getting?

An 8320/8350 would be decent, you may be able to find a used one for relatively cheap. Otherwise wait for Skylake and get a new board and CPU then

An 8320/8350 would be decent, you may be able to find a used one for relatively cheap. Otherwise wait for Skylake and get a new board and CPU then

I am not a pro at building pc's Ik the basics and stuff I dont think I could install a new mother board plus I dont have the money for it so would the 8350 be good or is it only decent I have looked into it and it looks fairly nice!

I am not a pro at building pc's Ik the basics and stuff I dont think I could install a new mother board plus I dont have the money for it so would the 8350 be good or is it only decent I have looked into it and it looks fairly nice!

What are you using the PC for?

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

What are you using the PC for?

Gaming

Get this combo

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $325.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-12 13:00 EDT-0400

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

Gaming

Get an I5 4690k with a Gigabyte Z97-Hd3 Motherboard.

Solitaire. 

It performs well at multithreaded tasks and overclocks quite well, it would give you a definite boost in modern games, especially if you overclocked it a bit. An 8320 is essentially the same processor downclocked, you can overclock it to 8350 levels and save a few bucks if you want.

Get this combo

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

This is good too, but adding a Hyper 212 EVO or similar cooler would be good.

Solitaire. 

It performs well at multithreaded tasks and overclocks quite well, it would give you a definite boost in modern games, especially if you overclocked it a bit. An 8320 is essentially the same processor downclocked, you can overclock it to 8350 levels and save a few bucks if you want.

But an I5 would be better for gaming

Solitaire. 

2 questions would it be fine to buy it off ebay or cregslist in your opinion and second would it be fine to keep my amd fx 4300 for now and look into overclocking btw I have a coolermaster hyper tx3 which keeps my cpu less then 30c so I think I could overclock!

Get this combo

OP should wait for the 4690k/z97 to go down when Skylake launches.

2 questions would it be fine to buy it off ebay or cregslist in your opinion and second would it be fine to keep my amd fx 4300 for now and look into overclocking btw I have a coolermaster hyper tx3 which keeps my cpu less then 30c so I think I could overclock!

again, you would be better off with an I5 and a new motherboard, i had the 8320 with that same motherboard and then upgraded to the I5 4690k and a Z97 MoBo, the performance difference is huge!

Solitaire. 

OP should wait for the 4690k/z97 to go down when Skylake launches.

Skylake will be a massive flop, they will all be locked.

Solitaire. 

A TX3 isn't great for overclocking, but a small chip like the 4300 could be overclocked well with it. Maybe use that until you have the money/expertise to replace your mobo and CPU.

Problem is I dont know how to install a mother board Im not good with cable management.

<insert unreleased product> will be <insert random predictions>

Problem is I dont know how to install a mother board Im not good with cable management.

Did you build the PC initially?

also Linus has many videos on this.

Solitaire. 

Watch some of Linus' videos, it's really quite easy.

<insert unreleased product> will be <insert random predictions>

Has been confirmed by intel as said in MaximumPC magazine

Solitaire. 

Ok so If I didnt get the new mobo would the amd 8350 be fine? And If I did get the new mobo what mobo do you guys think I should get for the i7 4790k