ahci - hard drive disk or solid state drive for ssd

I have a mode in my storage options in my mobo.
I have an SSD but it tells me I have 2 options
hard drive disk or solid state drive
I have an SSD already why does it tell me these 2 modes.
and am I going to get more performance by putting it in Solid State Drive mode?

thank you

|| CPU Intel i7 3770K || MOBO ASRock H77M || RAM 8GB 1600mhz || HDD 1TB 7200 Sata II || SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB || GPU EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW (boost core 1240mhz) || CPUCooler CM 212 EVO || PSU Seasonic M12II EVO 750W || CASE NZXT Phantom V2 (Pink-lol) || H-Phones Sennheiser HD600 || Gamepad XBox 360 Wireless Controller || Mouse Logitech G102 || K-Board CM Storm Trigger (MX Black) || Monitor Dell P2414H || AV Common Sense ||

I believe Hard Drive mode is IDE while Solid State Drive mode is AHCI.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I believe Hard Drive mode is IDE while Solid State Drive mode is AHCI.

I thought the same. but because you can't change IDE and AHCI without installing a fresh copy of windows.

when I put the SSD is hard disk drive MODE the windows works. means that is not it. or am I wrong... can a mobo change those modes without the need for fresh install?

|| CPU Intel i7 3770K || MOBO ASRock H77M || RAM 8GB 1600mhz || HDD 1TB 7200 Sata II || SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB || GPU EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW (boost core 1240mhz) || CPUCooler CM 212 EVO || PSU Seasonic M12II EVO 750W || CASE NZXT Phantom V2 (Pink-lol) || H-Phones Sennheiser HD600 || Gamepad XBox 360 Wireless Controller || Mouse Logitech G102 || K-Board CM Storm Trigger (MX Black) || Monitor Dell P2414H || AV Common Sense ||

I thought the same. but because you can't change IDE and AHCI without installing a fresh copy of windows.

when I put the SSD is hard disk drive MODE the windows works. means that is not it. or am I wrong... can a mobo change those modes without the need for fresh install?

You can change to AHCI without reinstalling Windows. You need to edit a registry key for AHCI to 1(true). Once you do that, reboot and enable AHCI in the BIOS. Apply the settings and Windows should install the AHCI driver.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

You can change to AHCI without reinstalling Windows. You need to edit a registry key for AHCI to 1(true). Once you do that, reboot and enable AHCI in the BIOS. Apply the settings and Windows should install the AHCI driver.

thank you. I'll put it in ahci mode (solid state drive)

thank you. I'll put it in ahci mode (solid state drive)

If it fails(it shouldn't), just change it back and Windows should boot fine.