290x, 290, or 970?

Lazz45

^ This @Lazz45 

Mantle is dying like no tomorrow and DX12 while it will improve distribution of cores still isn't saving AMD any time soon with their horrible IPC.

okay so save up for like a nice intel board, and like an i7 4790k? or go with the i5

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

okay so save up for like a nice intel board, and like an i7 4790k? or go with the i5

Not the i7 it wont help games (as of right now, I have to say this because if I didn't, everyone would start bitching about "but DX12 will..." like they all seem to know exactly how a unreleased piece of software will work.)

DX12 will give a very healthy boost to AMD processors like the fx-8350, but ya they still will not beat Intel. If somebody already has one they should hold on to it for dx12 and vulkan. But for new builds Intel is a safer bet as they will be more consistent across a range of games including dx11.

DX12 will give a very healthy boost to AMD processors like the fx-8350, but ya they still will not beat Intel. If somebody already has one they should hold on to it for dx12 and vulkan. But for new builds Intel is a safer bet as they will be better on dx11 games.

I have a x99 board in my basement just so if dx12 makes games use 6 cores and hyperthreading, I will be a step ahead on my upgrade path.

I have a x99 board in my basement just so if dx12 makes games use 6 cores and hyperthreading, I will be a step ahead on my upgrade path.

You will. And DX12 will make better use of multicore for keeping the GPU fed. It's not an if; mantle has already proven that concept, it's a question of when games will come out using vulkan/DX12. However your frame rate will still not keep scaling beyond a certain point by adding more cores. Reason being that the CPU needs to be just fast enough to keep the GPU fed with draw calls and then the bottleneck shifts to the GPU, or to physics or AI processing etc which remains on the CPU but may not be as well multithreaded

You will. And DX12 will make better use of multicore for keeping the GPU fed. It's not an if; mantle has already proven that concept, it's a question of when games will come out using vulkan/DX12. However your frame rate will still not keep scaling beyond a certain point by adding more cores. Reason being that the CPU needs to be just fast enough to keep the GPU fed with draw calls and then the bottleneck shifts to the GPU, or to physics or AI processing etc which remains on the CPU but may not be as well multithreaded

I also have 2 290X's windforce cards waiting for it as well so yea its going to be extreme.

For gaming all you'll need is 4690K

DX12 will make use of as many cores as available, evenly distributing the load. However this doesn't mean that you'll need more cores. Good IPC and 4 cores is still plenty, and a 4690K will still be able to handle newer games that come out with DX12

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

For gaming all you'll need is 4690K

DX12 will make use of as many cores as available, evenly distributing the load. However this doesn't mean that you'll need more cores. Good IPC and 4 cores is still plenty, and a 4690K will still be able to handle newer games that come out with DX12

Well currently I am using a 3450 and its restricting me in some multithreaded and multicore optimized workloads so I thought about getting a 4790K and then said fuck it why not spend a extra 120$ and jump to something with 50% more cores, the performance gains are there do I took them.

Just print yourself a 390X sticker and put it on a 290X.  After all, they're the same thing.  ;)

Save yourself $100 in the process.

I would just get a 290 so that you can save up for a Intel i5 CPU and Z97 Mobo.

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4