How to properly configure surround sound for my headset?

So, I get stuck here and then with the odd question regarding computer building etc but this question really is the real MVP.

How do I configure surround sound for my Astro A40 Headset and Astro Mixamp?

I am flooded with software from my motherboard telling me to do this and that to setup surround sound... (Asus Maximus VII Hero)

ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC 
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
- ELNA premium audio capacitors
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection 
- DTS Connect
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
- Sonic SoundStage
- Sonic SenseAmp
- Sonic Studio
- Sonic Radar II

My understanding is that the mixamp will encode my sound into surround sound for me but I sent astro gaming an email and apparently that it's not as simple as just plugging my Mixamp into my pc.

"The MixAmp is a sound card and a Dolby decoder and will give a slightly simulated surround sound.

If your PC does not have a sound card capable of Dolby Digital Live, it will not tell the MixAmp to decode Dolby as the PC is not capable of it."

So does this mean I need a sound card with dolby digital live? If so what is the point of having a built in sound card on the mobo? And will I be able to make use of the features stated above with my new sound card?

THIS IS SO CONFUSING..How do I even know where to plug my Mixamp in..the sound card....in mobo... in a usb port..

How do I even make sure the pc is sending the sound in surround sound to my mixamp so it can 'decode dolby'

I'm upset.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

How is the headset/mixamp connected to the PC? Do you use a jack cable, a USB cable, a TOSLINK cable or something completly different?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

How is the headset/mixamp connected to the PC? Do you use a jack cable, a USB cable, a TOSLINK cable or something completly different?

I have it connected simply by the USB cable from Mixamp to PC.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I have it connected simply by the USB cable from Mixamp to PC.

In that case, your PC's onboard soundcard doesn't matter at all, since it uses the mixamp as the soundcard.

Depending on how the mixamp driver is installed, you should be able to change the setting by right clicking the speak icon in the buttom right corner of your desktop → click ´Playback devices´ → Right click the mixamp → Select ´Properties´ → In here you should be able to change the relevant settings.

You might have to install a third-party driver from Astro, but that does depend how the mixamp works

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I'm pretty sure it does it automatically, you should try downloading the latest firmware for that mixamp.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2