eNote Digital Paper Bluetooth Device

Artificial Ignorance

I was browsing IndieGoGo and came across this It's called the eNote and it seems pretty cool. Here is their promo vid.

They display a few choice options for how it can be used. Like a digital parking stub, or signage at a store that has QR nutrition facts and auto updates.

ctxwayrh9jtjlzh04y33.jpg

They say that they are crowdfunding because they feel that developers might come up with some new options that they can't think of. Honestly it's not too bad. $150 will get you a developer item and $700 gets you five. Not two bad for a product like this.

post-163171-0-09162500-1433995413_thumb.

They list the specs as below.

eNote display Brief Specs

•  
  • Bluetooth Smart (low energy) services: GAP/GATT, Battery, Device ID, eNote Display
  •  
  • ePaper display: 264x176 pixels, black/white
  •  
  • 3.25 x 2.0 x 0.38 inches, 1.6 oz
  •  
  • 0 - 50 degrees C
  •  
  • Sealed package with CR2450 620mAH battery, 3-5 years of normal operation (beacon + 2-3 writes/day)
  •  
  • To be qualified to: FCC, Bluetooth (testing and submission yet to be performed -  part of the campaign funding)
  •  
  • Note: the units supplied through the crowdfunding campaign may not have completed testing and certification by the time they are shipped.  These are development units.  Firmware upgrades will be provided as they are developed.
  •  

I can see some people getting behind this. The only issue I see is the cost. A lot of the funtionality that they seem to be showing we already have. The question becomes how accessable can we get this. If I can buy one for $20 from my city and then use it as a parking stub then yes it works. But if I have to pay upwards of $50 I'm not sure. I think it might come down to the effective uses that people can get out of it.

At any rate they have been up for 14 hours and raised $1,200 of the $75,000 goal.

This seems really awesome. But in all seriousness, why on Earth didn't they make the casing black (or any color) instead of making it transparent. It just makes it look.... bad.

This seems really awesome. But in all seriousness, why on Earth didn't they make the casing black (or any color) instead of making it transparent. It just makes it look.... bad.

they mention a few times on the IndieGoGo page that the Developer version is clear. I'm guessing that will change for mass production

The store here has all of their price tags as ePaper devices.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.