Vertical HDD mounting in Define R5

SubZeroKelvin

Hi guys,

I am in the process of completing my new rig with a Define R5. I am using an m.2 ssd and I want to add a couple hdds for storage. Unfortunately, I use a 240mm AIO liquid cooler for my CPU so I can't use the drive bays that come with the R5. I thought of relocating the cage in front of the power supply but it's a fairly large one (HX850i) and I don't want to ghetto mount the cage with only a screw or even with some double-sided tape.

So I just had an idea: why not mount two 2.5in 2TB hdds behind the motherboard tray? I can't see why it wouldn't work. Sound wise, with all of the dampening material on the side panels I shouldn't hear a thing. I just wonder about the heat output and long term reliability with a vertical mount.

Any thoughts?

as long as it doesnt move i think it would be fine

HDD's get pretty hot so i would get some airflow over them

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

It would only be for storage and I would rarely use them. Would they still get hot if they were idling most of the time? I was planning on installing seagate 9.5mm hdds. They are made for notebooks so without a proper cooling solution.

It would only be for storage and I would rarely use them. Would they still get hot if they were idling most of the time? I was planning on installing seagate 9.5mm hdds. They are made for notebooks so without a proper cooling solution.

if the notebooks it might be ok, i was thinking about 3.5 inch xD

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

No, it's an R5, the only case I know of that would allow for a 3.5in drive to be mounted behind the tray is the Define S. I think I'll try and definitely keep you guys posted if it works.

No, it's an R5, the only case I know of that would allow for a 3.5in drive to be mounted behind the tray is the Define S. I think I'll try and definitely keep you guys posted if it works.

It will work

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."