Repainting A GPU Shroud (Help)

Davethegamer

Let's jump right into it, since it's 10:18 pm here

I plan on upgrading to a Gigabyte 980ti G1 Gaming card. However, my build has a black and red theme, but the card is black and silver. How would I go about painting the silver part of the card. Also, is there anything I should be cautious of heading into this? What paint would you suggest, Etc.     Thanks.

This is what the card looks like if you haven't seen it.

post-147383-0-82157800-1433903693.jpg

CIS Student

Bleeding Panther

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-5820K | Deepcool CAPTAIN 360EX | Thermatake TG-7 | Gigabyte AORUS Xtreme Edition GTX 1080 Ti | MSI X99S Gaming 7 | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GBx2 | Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB x2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Tempered Glass | EVGA 850 G2 | Corsair Air Series SP120x6 | Corsair STRAFE Wired Gaming Keyboard | Logitech MX Master 2S | Audio-Technica M50x Headphones

Let's jump right into it, since it's 10:18 pm here

I plan on upgrading to a Gigabyte 980ti G1 Gaming card. However, my build has a black and red theme, but the card is black and silver. How would I go about painting the silver part of the card. Also, is there anything I should be cautious of heading into this? What paint would you suggest, Etc.     Thanks.

Disassemble the card and take the parts you want to paint and prep them for paint. I'd be sure to scuff up the parts or prime them before painting your top coat. 

Here is a good guide on this using the reference cooler:

Plasti-dip is great for beginners at modding since you can remove it if you make a mistake and it won't ruin your PCB if you get overspray. If you are careful and take the time any generic metal or plastic spray paint works well too. The best advice is to spend a lot of time taping up what you don't want painted with painters tape. Your final job will reflect how well you did your taping.

The best way i think is by removing the heatsink and then painting it, that way you can keep your PCB safe. Because, if you just start spraypainting you will paint the fins of the heatsink as well wich won't be good for the heat dissipation. Normally removing the heatsink is not that hard, you just need to be carefull and remember how to put it all back in place (note: your warranty will be voided most of the times)

I woul

Plasti-dip is great for beginners at modding since you can remove it if you make a mistake and it won't ruin your PCB if you get overspray. If you are careful and take the time any generic metal or plastic spray paint works well too. The best advice is to spend a lot of time taping up what you don't want painted with painters tape. Your final job will reflect how well you did your taping.

I would not recommend plastidip. It needs quite a THICK coat.