970 v 980

Kinuubi
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

Ok. So the 980 is barely a step up from 970 and if I were to get the 980 might as well just get the 980Ti because it's more bang for my buck?

There's still a fair jump in performance, but there's also a large jump in price. The 980Ti is better for the price. The extra performance of the 980 is not worth the cost. 

If you're playing at 1080p, the 970 is the best choice. For higher than 1080p, or for high refresh rates, the 980Ti is best. 

Like the title said I'm thinking about getting either one of those for my PC. I can't really decide since I don't really know much about graphic crads to make a good decision. The games I would be playing are LoL, Swotr, Marvel Heroes, GTA V, Skyrim, GW 2, and maybe some new mmorpg's that haven't been released yet. Which one do you guys recommend? It doesn't even have to be one of the 2. Originally I was going to go with 970, but I saw the 980 and now can't really decide.

EDIT: I meant GTX 970 and 980 forgot to put that in the title as well.

970. The 980 is pretty much pointless from a price/performance standpoint. It's either the 970, or make the jump to a 980Ti. 

Ok. So the 980 is barely a step up from 970 and if I were to get the 980 might as well just get the 980Ti because it's more bang for my buck?

There's still a fair jump in performance, but there's also a large jump in price. The 980Ti is better for the price. The extra performance of the 980 is not worth the cost. 

If you're playing at 1080p, the 970 is the best choice. For higher than 1080p, or for high refresh rates, the 980Ti is best. 

Yea. I don't really care that much about 4k UltraHD crazy resolution right now. I've been playing games at low resolution for a long time and anything above that will be great for me. Thanks.

What about for future gaming? Would getting the 980Ti be better or will the 970 be sufficient for a good while? I'm planing to not replace my graphics card for a while unless absolutely necessary.

Yea. I don't really care that much about 4k UltraHD crazy resolution right now. I've been playing games at low resolution for a long time and anything above that will be great for me. Thanks.

What about for future gaming? Would getting the 980Ti be better or will the 970 be sufficient for a good while? I'm planing to not replace my graphics card for a while unless absolutely necessary.

The 970 will last a fair while. If you really want to upgrade later, you can add another for SLI. 

The 970 will last a fair while. If you really want to upgrade later, you can add another for SLI. 

Cool. Thanks a lot!