Inventing a live streaming website.

heineygoat

I have a friend who has a bright idea and hes asking me to help him create a live streaming website.

Essentially, he wants something like Twitch, but his own (and its not for gaming, that's just an example).

I've coded and deigned websites, purchased domain names and hosting before, but this beyond me.

Where do you start? I suppose we would need a huge bandwidth and powerful server. The bandwidth needed isn't available in our area so we would have to rent a server, and then I guess we would need some form of java script for the streaming and a flash player. Neither of us know flash or java so would we have to pay someone for that or are there free alternatives? We would also need to pay a legal agent for a policy. Now I assume we're looking at thousands of dollars, right?

Would it be more practical to create a website and just embed a stream from someone else like UStream?

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

You pretty much want to make your own version of Twitch? With a brand new player etc? That sounds extremely difficult and not something I think a few people could do.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Would it be more practical to create a website and just embed a stream from someone else like UStream?

That would be a good start.