1TB vs 2TB

Night

Hey guys. I need more storage space...somehow ive used up 1TB of space on my current drive. Its the only drive in my system and once I get either an SSD or a 2.5" 500GB mechanical drive installed its just going to have to share the space with the OS.

SSD's are a bit too expensive for me right now so I just want to get another Barracudda for my system. There wont be any fancy raid configurations or anything, just a standard extra drive for media.

My question is that the drives listed on the website I buy from seem like they are all the same drive and somewhere along the line Seagate managed to pump out some extra terabytes of random magical space. Will having 2TB or 3TB over 1TB make the drive more un-reliable?

This is the page with the 3 drives.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...=Seagate&fltr=

Going with more terabytes won't make the drive unreliable. It just means that it has more 1TB spinning platters on the drive. But if the drive fails, all your data will be gone

Going with more terabytes won't make the drive unreliable. It just means that it has more 1TB spinning platters on the drive. But if the drive fails, all your data will be gone
Thanks. :)

I'm surprised they don't have up to 6tb hdds yet, considering many older hard drives I've torn apart have up to 6 platters in them.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Technically speaking, having more platters does mean there are more points for failure, so more platters (and more heads, etc) can lead to lower reliability. That said, it's really not an issue from what I've heard and while I don't know the actual difference, I don't think it'll be that large - there are many points of failure with a HDD or any other component, not just with the platters.

This isn't really that significant, but I'm rather skeptical that a 2TB Barracuda will actually promise a unit with 1TB platters, as the site promises. Currently Seagate is selling two variants of the ST2000DM001, one with three 667GB platters and one with two 1TB platters, with the second being slightly faster. Naturally this is hardly an issue unless you are constantly reading and writing large files to it, but it's worth being wary of when you get it. Both the 1TB and 3TB units only include 1TB platters though.

Hey guys. I need more storage space...somehow ive used up 1TB of space on my current drive. Its the only drive in my system and once I get either an SSD or a 2.5" 500GB mechanical drive installed its just going to have to share the space with the OS. SSD's are a bit too expensive for me right now so I just want to get another Barracudda for my system. There wont be any fancy raid configurations or anything' date=' just a standard extra drive for media. My question is that the drives listed on the website I buy from seem like they are all the same drive and somewhere along the line Seagate managed to pump out some extra terabytes of random magical space. Will having 2TB or 3TB over 1TB make the drive more un-reliable? This is the page with the 3 drives. http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...=Seagate&fltr=

I am so bringing this up when we're next playing DayZ :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Hey guys. I need more storage space...somehow ive used up 1TB of space on my current drive. Its the only drive in my system and once I get either an SSD or a 2.5" 500GB mechanical drive installed its just going to have to share the space with the OS. SSD's are a bit too expensive for me right now so I just want to get another Barracudda for my system. There wont be any fancy raid configurations or anything' date=' just a standard extra drive for media. My question is that the drives listed on the website I buy from seem like they are all the same drive and somewhere along the line Seagate managed to pump out some extra terabytes of random magical space. Will having 2TB or 3TB over 1TB make the drive more un-reliable? This is the page with the 3 drives. http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...=Seagate&fltr=

I am so bringing this up when we're next playing DayZ :P

Also

MOAR STORAGE

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."