Windows 7- Motherboard Replacement/Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Windows requires to be re-installed on a new system. Unless you have Windows 8 Enterprise and did a Windows 8 To Go USB drive.

If you need to access stuff on that old HDD. Plug the HDD on your free SATA port, and start your computer as normal.

The system will boot Windows on your SSD, and in Windows, you'll see a new partition disk drive, which is your added old HDD. You can access all your old data.

Hello everybody,

There is a problem that I have run into before and I am not sure if there is a solution. Last July I decided to do a PC upgrade. I got a new CPU, motherboard and graphics card. I already had a hard drive from the previous build with Windows 7 installed on it, so I figured I would just plug it in and let'r rip. But Windows wouldn't boot with the new motherboard (and CPU maybe?) installed. So I went out and got myself an OCZ agility 4 and installed a new copy of Windows and that was that. But here I am left with a few years collection of data and (most importantly) a large array or programs on this old hard disk that I can't boot. So I had to build everything back up from scratch, which is a little annoying.

I plan on doing an upgrade in the next month or so, so I would love to know what my options are.

So, my question: Is there a way to make windows boot on a new motherboard and CPU? (so I don't have to rebuild my collection of programs and transfer data that I can recover)

Thank you very much for reading and all responses are greatly appreciated! :D

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

Windows requires to be re-installed on a new system. Unless you have Windows 8 Enterprise and did a Windows 8 To Go USB drive.

If you need to access stuff on that old HDD. Plug the HDD on your free SATA port, and start your computer as normal.

The system will boot Windows on your SSD, and in Windows, you'll see a new partition disk drive, which is your added old HDD. You can access all your old data.

Okay, thanks a lot :)

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB