Less fps than expected in GTA V

DJ46

Hi guys,

I tried to figure this out on my own but I don't think I can.

I had lower fps than I thought I would when the game came out. The highest I got was 40fps. I figured out the i3-4150 I had was bottlenecking my GPU (I could go from 720p all low to 1080p all high without a difference in fps).

I played the game on my friend's PC (he has an i5-2400) and he was getting 65+ fps (80 on average). That was the last piece of evidence I needed.

I upgraded my CPU to an i5-4460. But even now my fps is only 50+ (55 average).

I have the latest drivers from AMD. The CPU is running at max clock speed, the temps are totally fine. Still, it is at 97% usage almost all the time and the fps don't get much better.

My PC is better in every way from his (he has the aforementioned i5-2400 and an HD7870) apart from RAM - he has 8GB, 2 more than my 6GB. (Could that be the issue? Ram usage tops out at 5.1GB)

I just want to know what to do. I want the game to finally run well.

I should mention when I ran it on his PC, I used the exact same settings I want to play at.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Are you sure you're using the exact same settings?

EDIT: Reapply the thermal paste and clean your GPU

What GPU do you have? Maybe I overlooked it. Also maybe try and get a whole new set of ram or if you have a 4gb stick and 2gb and the 4gb stick is a good make/model or brand just get a another 4gb stick. Otherwise a whole new set of 8gbs, if your mobo supports 32gbs of ram and has 4 slots get a 4x2 1600 or 1866mhz.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I am by no means an expert, but if it is using that much of your RAM... That might be it. Also, there are LOADS of tips on how to maximise game performance on the internet, using software, cleaning your temp folder, etc.

Not a bottleneck. Could be a bunch of different variables. Settings, programs running, OS, ram, etc.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I would take a look at your setup and then look at all of your friend's setup. Perhaps your CPU isn't the only problem.

are the sliders and other options under the ''advanced graphics'' tab turned off? those have MAJOR performance hit.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Are you sure you're using the exact same settings?

EDIT: Reapply the thermal paste and clean your GPU

I literally lend him 4GB of my RAM (because when we tested it he only had 2x2GB), came to his house and set all the settings.

The CPU temperature is totally fine. The paste is spread nicely (I used MX-2 btw) and the GPU is as clean as it could be. (It's running cool too.)

What GPU do you have? Maybe I overlooked it. Also maybe try and get a whole new set of ram or if you have a 4gb stick and 2gb and the 4gb stick is a good make/model or brand just get a another 4gb stick. Otherwise a whole new set of 8gbs, if your mobo supports 32gbs of ram and has 4 slots get a 4x2 1600 or 1866mhz.

My GPU is an HD7950 (I have it my my signature). My motherboard is mITX. Also, the difference in RAM speed would do literally f'all. (My friend's RAM is actually running at 1066MHz)

I am by no means an expert, but if it is using that much of your RAM... That might be it. Also, there are LOADS of tips on how to maximise game performance on the internet, using software, cleaning your temp folder, etc.

I will borrow a 4GB stick of RAM as soon as I can to test if that is the issue.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

are the sliders and other options under the ''advanced graphics'' tab turned off? those have MAJOR performance hit.

The settings I used on both systems are:

- almost everything on normal

- the three sliders (pedestrian variety and the 2 other ones) are on MAX - I won't lower these (because they ran just fine on his PC)

- shadows on AMD CHS

- AF on 16x

- FXAA on - MSAA off

- tessellation on high

- everything under advanced graphics is off

These exact settings were applied on both systems. (I applied them myself because these are the settings I want to use.) He has a 1080p screen just like me. The only difference in out setups is mine is a bit better but has 2GB of RAM less.

I literally lend him 4GB of my RAM (because when we tested it he only had 2x2GB), came to his house and set all the settings.

The CPU temperature is totally fine. The paste is spread nicely (I used MX-2 btw) and the GPU is as clean as it could be. (It's running cool too.)

My GPU is an HD7950 (I have it my my signature). My motherboard is mITX. Also, the difference in RAM speed would do literally f'all. (My friend's RAM is actually running at 1066MHz)

I will borrow a 4GB stick of RAM as soon as I can to test if that is the issue.

Get back to us when you get the extra 4gbs, I also just don't like mixing ram,

All the same speed make and mode, just helps unless the only difference is like color :P

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)