GPU OC'ing too much

Title says almost all, when I OC my GTX 970's core, it actually goes higher than I want, I think it is making my OC unnecessarily unstable because of that.

DETAILS:

I am using Gigabyte OC guru II for OC'ing. In the program I had set my core to +171Mhz, with that I was supposed to get EXACTLY 1500Mhz on the core. But I will actually get 2 different frequencies, depending on my voltage setting.

1. While only adjusting the offset MIN (raised by 0.0125V) on my core voltage I noticed that my monitoring program was reporting a speed of 1550MHz, 50Mhz more that intended. And so, while I was playing Warframe my game crashed, screen blinked black and I was returned to my desktop, unable to maximize the game window, I could still hear the games sounds, as if I was mousing over menu items.

2. While using Offset max (raised by 0.0625V) I noticed that my core was at 1575Mhz, even more this time... Bf4 crashed after ~40 minutes, the same way warframe did, after hastily relaunching the game to continue playing with my friend I noticed the the core stayed at 1385Mhz, after that I was able to play for 2 hours or so without crashing.

Why is the core speed so unpredictable? I just want it to stay at the speed I tell it to stay at.

Also I could appreciate some other advice on OC'in my card, I am sure I could have use for that too.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Use Afterburner.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Use Afterburner.

I tried using that with my 7950, I didn't like it too much, overly complex and I couldn't get the overlay to work at all.

aand shortly after the fact I filed for an RMA on my 7950....

EDIT: i might give it another chance, hoping that it has had some updates.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.