Need some keyboard help with k70(2013) || duckyshine 3 || Qf xt || Das model s

JeroenB

Hello,

Im looking for my first mech keyboard with the main purpose to replace my laptop keyboard for when im home. This laptop keyboard has very thin keys wich let me make alot of mistakes. After some reading i think the mx browns will fit my need between typing and gaming and making less noise then the blues.

The main thing would be for typing code (programming). However i would like to be using it for gaming now and then as well. At first i spotted the Quickfire xt. Just a basic keyboard with good quality. However i would prefer to have leds in my keyboard for when it somewat darker. Atm im kinda afraid to spend some more on led keyboards as i read that the leds on alot of the mx keys die quick. If i do want a led however i would prefer the k70(2013 black with red led) or the ducky shine 3 as they seem to have quite some nice reviews. Problem with theses are however that the k70 doesnt have a standard keylayout wich makes key caps switching harder. And the ducky just looks plane for 140 euro's...

So to sum things up a lil:

* is it safe to go with leds?

* are the keycaps fine on the k70 or is switching out really iminent(prefer not to switch)?

For me the k70 stands on the first place just because it looks slicker then a bland keyboard + i prefer a wrist rest , if the leds die however and the keycaps fail the ducky has my choice, however ive read the the leds fail just as good on the ducky so wich makes me pick the qf xt again since then the ducky has nothing over the xt.. ( if you see my problem here :S ).

Also when i google k70 vs ducky shine 3 lots of peeps say ducky so is it that much better?

(Btw i live in the netherlands and the k70 is available on like 11 sites whereas the ducky is only availavle in white led on 3 sites)

k70 costs = 140 euro

k70 rgb = 180(wich is not worth it for me)

ducky shine 3 = 150 euro

qf xt = 80 euro

thx in advance!

Are you getting red or blue LEDs on your K70? If red, I had my old Corsair K70 with CherryMX Reds for about one year, it survived 3 beverage spills and all of the LEDs still work, surprisingly enough. I gave it to my little brother because I wanted to try CherryMX Blues, and it's still working fine, no dead LEDs. I've had my new K70 for about half a year now, and still no dead LEDs. So I wouldn't worry too much about LEDs dying.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

The reds are the only ones available. The blues had that error which made the leds die alot so that one has been discontinued.. And how about the caps.. any wear down or are they just fine?

Got a lil question tho, atm im kinda heading more for the k70 just because i prefer the looks. After reading lots of reviews its clear that all the stock keycaps that come with theses boards are 'bad'. Ive never had any reason with all my keyboards to change the keycaps and now im wondering why people all wanna change the keycaps. Atm the only thing that holds me back for the k70 is the keycap quality. Is it really inevetable to swap out the caps or will they last me for years as well (ofc they will become less grainy/ textured). Cuz else i might as well go a for a das or a ducky altho im not really in the mood of spending another 35 euros on keycaps. 

I'd go for the Ducky unless you're getting a K70 RGB, which it doesn't appear you are.

Nope im not really spending 40 euro more for some flashy lights and colours that il set to 1 color after a week. Anyway atm im also heading more for ducky. 1 reason for that is that the keyboard is mainly for typing and some gaming and that i read here and there that the k70 is somewat meh for typing and more for gaming because of the elevated keys.. Anyway thx for your input.

Nope im not really spending 40 euro more for some flashy lights and colours that il set to 1 color after a week. Anyway atm im also heading more for ducky. 1 reason for that is that the keyboard is mainly for typing and some gaming and that i read here and there that the k70 is somewat meh for typing and more for gaming because of the elevated keys.. Anyway thx for your input.

From what I've heard Ducky is pretty damn good reliability wise. I don't know what to say about the raised keys on the K70. I have a K70 RGB and I don't think the keys are raised much (if at all) compared to other keyboards of its style, they just aren't recessed into the keyboard frame like every other keyboard is. Maybe it's appearance gives the illusion that it's keys sit higher? I dunno, really.

Nonetheless, I'd still go for the Ducky in your case.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

From what I've heard Ducky is pretty damn good reliability wise. I don't know what to say about the raised keys on the K70. I have a K70 RGB and I don't think the keys are raised much (if at all) compared to other keyboards of its style, they just aren't recessed into the keyboard frame like every other keyboard is. Maybe it's appearance gives the illusion that it's keys sit higher? I dunno, really.

Nonetheless, I'd still go for the Ducky in your case.

Alright then, well yea ive read it a couple of times of other people reviewing it. Also why go for a ducky in my case? Can you tell me why you think it would be better for me? 

Alright then, well yea ive read it a couple of times of other people reviewing it. Also why go for a ducky in my case? Can you tell me why you think it would be better for me? 

I don't have hands on experience with Ducky products, but I know many people on this forum vouch for Ducky's quality with them. Being reliable and all of that.

As a matter of fact, the only reason I didn't get a Ducky Shine instead of a K70 RGB is because I'm one of those suckers that cares about RGB and I wanted a keyboard with it.  :P

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I don't have hands on experience with Ducky products, but I know many people on this forum vouch for Ducky's quality with them. Being reliable and all of that.

As a matter of fact, the only reason I didn't get a Ducky Shine instead of a K70 RGB is because I'm one of those suckers that cares about RGB and I wanted a keyboard with it.  :P

Ah ok then, yea when i search for ducky vs k70 most of them are in favor of the ducky. Anyway im still gonna wait for the ducky rgb and see if that one is much more expensive and if it might change the price for the older ones.